Mahi and Virat and meeting again

The CSK vs RCB match of IPL 2023 was probably the last Mahirat moment the world would see. The build-up to that match was unreal; and Virat was super excited himself. It's been a while since he physically met Mahi bhai.

Of course they stayed in touch, though. Mahi, who rarely even uses his phone, occasionally calls Virat himself to ask how he's doing. Doesn't talk about the game, doesn't talk about the team, doesn't talk about the management. Just, how Virat is doing.

Virat loved the man. Trusted him with everything he'd got. He was thankful to him for being there even after he'd announced retirement. He was simply excited, like a child, because Mahi bhai's presence was something unmatchable. Had an almost calming effect on him, like everything would be alright.

That was how he felt that night. At ease, as he chatted with Mahi bhai about the this and that, all things unnecessary, all things funny. The fact that they'd lost wasn't as bothersome when he was joking around with Mahi bhai, laughing about how their teams had not so great bowling attacks.

Later when they were about to leave, Virat leaned in for a hug and Mahi didn't have the heart to depart so soon; so he whispered to Virat, "Lets catch up tonight, yeah?"

Virat smiled and nodded.

——————

Later that night, when Virat entered the hotel the CSK team was in, he ran into Jaddu.

"What are you doing here?" Jaddu asked incredulously, walking beside him.

"Came to hang out with Mahi bhai, of course,"

Jaddu being Jaddu, easily lied to Virat because well, why not? He looked at Virat like he was delusional. "Mahi bhai didn't tell you? He'll be spending the night with the kids."

Virat stopped in his tracks. "What? He told me to come,"

"He must've forgotten you."

Virat looked at Jaddu crossly. "Nice try, Jad,"

"No seriously, he just left." Jaddu stopped before Mahi bhai's door, knowing well that he left for dinner ten minutes nu ago. "See?"

Jaddu opened the door and Virat peeked in. No sign of anybody.

"How do I know it's his room?" Virat asked, raising an eyebrow. "Quit fooling around, just tell me no?"

"See. His suitcase. His jerseys." Jaddu held up a shirt. Virat's heart dropped then. "You can call him if you want and ask for yourself."

A moody Virat fumbled with his phone as he dialled Mahi bhai's number. Like every time, no body picked up and Virat huffed loudly. Jaddu shrugged.

"But he told me he'd spend time with me," Virat said like a child and Jaddu almost thought of saying him the truth. But his friend's face was so priceless that he couldn't risk letting his prank go to waste.

"Nope. He's with the little guys."

Now Virat frowned. "Who's he with?"

"You know.. the young guys. Rutu, Deepak, Matheesha, Akash.."

Virat scowled. "No way."

Jaddu started walking away. "I need to go, I haven't talked to Rivaba in a while. Bye cheeku."

"Shut your mouth. Where is he?" Virat demanded and Jaddu smiled with satisfaction at successfully riling Virat up.

Jaddu thought quick and told the first random thing that came to his head.

"Beach."

——————

Virat couldn't believe it. Mahi bhai, his and only his Mahi bhai, who had promised to hang out with him had gone and made plans with others.