Mahi and Deepak and favouritism

IPL 2021

On the day of the first CSK match of the season, Mahi was doing a quick discussion with the important players about the conditions. It was their first match after the disappointing 2020 season, so the hype for this game was immense.

But Mahi took it easy, and wished that his teammates were chilled out too. When the players gathered, he started discussing strategies, but stopped midway.

"Where's Deepak?"

The others looked around. Mahi sighed tiredly, he wanted Deepak to listen to his bowling plans because he knew Deepak would need them.

"I'll get him." Bravo said and jogged away. He came back with a minute later, dragging Deepak, who was busy texting away in his phone.

Mahi took in a deep breath, as he tried to not glare at him. "Deepak, we need you here."

"Yes, yes, coming," Deepak said and joined them all, with the phone still in his hands. Mahi ignored it, as he resumed talking.

"Flem and I think batting will get easier by the second innings, so if we win the toss, we should bowl first,"

"Mahi bhai we should bat first." Deepak said out of nowhere.

Mahi raised a brow. Deepak was the only guy in the team who does this. He tried to explain patiently, "Have you seen the wicket? It looks like there'll be dew later."

"Nahh, there won't be any d-"

ting

Deepak's head snapped to his phone when he heard the notification.

Mahi ignored whatever Deepak was going to say and continued talking to the others. Everyone were listening keenly, and Raina, being nearest to Deepak, pinched his arm.

Deepak looked at him with a frown, and he signalled him to pay attention to Mahi bhai. Deepak rolled his eyes and defiantly turned to bhai, listened for a minute before he received another ting.

Raina hissed annoyingly. Mahi was now openly glaring at Deepak. Enough was enough.

"Are you not interested to be here, Deepak?" He asked in a calm tone, and Deepak quickly put his phone away.

"That's what I thought." Mahi bhai said in a steely voice and continued talking again.

Later, when the others had dispersed, Mahi called out for his untamed child. "Come here, Deepak,"

Deepak gulped. No matter how fun and friendly Mahi bhai was with him, he was also scary and stern.

Deepak took small steps as he went close to bhai.

"What's up with you? You know that this season is important for us, right?"

He nodded, looking down.

"And you are a key player."

He stayed silent.

"So that's how you behave during team discussions, is it? That's what I taught you over the years." Mahi bhai said emotionlessly, and Deepak instantly regretted bringing his phone to the dressing room in the first place.

"No, Mahi bhai." He whispered, looking at his feet.

Mahi nodded. Good that they were getting somewhere. "Right. You can't stay a kid forever, you need to act a little responsible at times. Set an example for the younger guys. You have to always keep that in mind. Do you understand?"

Deepak nodded grimly.

Mahi bhai sighed again. "Alright. Phone."

"What?" Deepak looked up. Mahi bhai can't mean what he thinks he means.