Still not over them

it's been 100 days since we won ipl 2023.

and these milestones always make me smile, no matter how pointless they might seem. 100 days since I witnessed the most unreal and satisfying win ever. I remember being so thrilled that I wrote it all down, so I could remember this feeling for the rest of my life.

so here it is.

(I found the above text from somewhere in twitter and it's literally the purest thing ever 🥺)

—————

The Narendra Modi Stadium at Ahmedabad fell quiet.

The man himself, recently cherished as the myth and the legend, was walking back to the dugout on his supposed final cricket match. Ever.

MS Dhoni wasn't one for emotions, but everyone could see the suppressed pain in his face. Disappointed. So it became clear that it wasn't going to be a "dhoni finishes off in style" ending. Doubt penetrated every csk fan's heart.

Please let it not be like 2019.

22 off 13.

Very much chase-able. Right?

Ravindra Jadeja walked in. Shivam Dube was the non-striker. They had to win this.

Maybe it was the brutal pressure of the IPL finale, or the exceptionally tight bowling of Mohammed Shami, but the pair was only able to score two singles and three twos, and no boundary at all, in his over.

Tens and thousands of held breaths, eyes closed, and fingers crossed. Please, let the man have a farewell win.

Somehow, this was still the team that's lost five IPL finals, and they knew the feeling all too well. The supporters feared experiencing it yet again, this year more than ever, because it could be the last for thala, and definitely the last for Ambati Rayudu. Didn't they deserve to leave on a winning note?

It should've been a relief after Shami's last ball, but it was anything but that.

13 off 6.

And worse, Mohit Sharma.

Shivam Dube on strike, when Mohit bowled a crisp yorker, an unplayable one.

Dot ball.

Curses flew in the air, in front of the TVs. If he kept bowling like this, it would mean csk would return home empty handed, after having come so, so close.

The next ball was the same, but Dube managed to score a single.

Jaddu scored another single.

Dube another.

It was all they could do, really, when the bowling was at peak, sleek and perfectly executed balls.

10 off 2.

When the score was 21 off 12, they really thought they got it. Yet another disappointment. Feeling the trophy under the touch of your hand but letting it slip away. That's how it felt.

Hopes buried, hearts prepared for another final loss. Dhoni sat with his face held down, what a sight for sore eyes. This was new. The world's never seen him like this. Sad, let down, disappointed.

It's okay.

Losing finals isn't new.

One lone warrior from Jamnagar had different plans.

Thousands of eyes misty already, and Dhoni dared not to view. But Jaddu's sight was clear.

Deepak, who was sat aside his Mahi bhai, couldn't control his nerves, looking at him disappointed only made him guiltier of the two catches, so moved to sit in the grass, as close as he could get to Jaddu bhai.

Heart rates high, palpitations, anticipation.

Even the best fall prey to pressure, and it showed when Mohit Sharma's next ball fell in the slot, Jadeja beautifully got under it and slammed it toward the long-on, all the way out of the boundary.

An eruption of cheers. Dhoni's head up for a second.

The wisest tried to calm themselves down. This can't be it. This is what they do, get us close and lose by runs which can be counted in a palm.

They won't win.

This is too good to be true.

No, no, no, please- No.

The faithless prayed. Eyes shut, heads turned away from the screen. Millions wished. Just this once. I will ask for no more.

Last ball bowled, and he simply flicks, as the full toss runs into the fine leg boundary.

And then he ran.

The yellow teammates ran into the ground to Sir Ravindra Jadeja, the man, the myth, the legend. To the most valuable player ever, who believed even when the experts of the game didn't. To the best all rounder in the world, he could bowl and bat, there was nothing he couldn't do. To the man who's wicket was unfairly celebrated all throughout the season, but he took it all.

Surreal. That's what many felt. Hearts warm and full. The stadium of yellow celebrated like none other, they'd waited three days to watch a legendary game of cricket, but it was all worth it. The others hugged Jaddu, celebrating, cheering loud with sheer satisfaction and thrill.

But he kept running, straight to Mahi bhai; his captain, his supporter, his big brother.

Mahi, suddenly not so much MS Dhoni, picked him up, overwhelmed with emotion, as he held him as close as possible. Somehow this win was special. Jaddu had won this for him.

He fought hard to control the tears from spilling, as the duo stayed latched, cherishing, because it's not every year you win an IPL title. Not like this.

Rayudu was crying. Fans were crying. Screaming till their throats went dry. It had happened. A roaring comeback.

Now, tonight, everybody could sleep peacefully, this was enough, Jaddu had did it, he had given Dhoni a farewell he deserved.

But Dhoni pays back generously, gifted him something more. He announced him playing the next IPL.

Oh, what a night this was.

Despite having won four other titles, this one would make them smile for the rest of their lives. I know I would be smiling.

Trophy rightfully collected, handed over to the beautifully talented young Matheesha Pathirana, we're the chennai boys, making all the noise, every where we go, sung in unison.

Oh, what an unforgettable night. Perfect was an understatement.