Mahi and Jinks and comebacks

a/n: this is the one shot (felt like an essay tho) of how MS Dhoni created Ajinkya Rahane 2.0, and shows the world that a true leader is the one who brings out the best in his teammates. the absolute best.

———————

It was safe to say that Ajinkya Rahane's spirits were unimaginably down after he was unceremoniously dropped from the Indian team.

Border Gavaskar trophy 2021 was the most satisfying victory for him. He felt like he actually did a good job, leading the team to one of the greatest comeback wins. But it ended there; later, as the vice captain, his form slopped down, and his average came down to a mere 20.

But the worst happened in 2022. His form was worse than ever. He had scored only 133 runs in that IPL season, and worse, he wasn't picked for the England tests. They had dropped him.

Being a one format player, this hit him like a brick. He practiced like a beast, but still, the lack of matches because of Covid forced him to lose touch. This was the roughest patch in his career, he believed, because this was his format. Test cricket was his area of expertise.

Fast forward to the IPL 2023 auction day. Ajinkya had zero hopes of being picked by a decent franchise. He even considered not playing at all. Slept off on the day of auction, because sometimes it just hurt to be a cricketer. Pure, undeniable, hurt.

Woke up to being selected by CSK.

——————

Mahi bhai called him first thing when Jinks joined the team. Jinks went to his room, expecting bhai to say he won't get a spot in the playing eleven, like Puji last year.

Mentally prepared himself for the worst. Like always.

"Hey, Jinksy," Mahi bhai greeted with a hug, so loving, so tender, and so familiar. Jinks leaned in, and Mahi understood he was feeling diffident.

He needed to fix his self-confidence if he wanted him to contribute to the team.

So he chatted with him for a while, made him feel at ease. Jinks realised how much he had missed Mahi bhai as the captain. Though he dropped him from ODIs, he couldn't bring himself feel the slightest bit of resentment.

"I got dropped again, Mahi bhai." He said suddenly. "I- understand they had better players- but it just hurts-"

"You're not a replaceable test player, Jinks." Mahi said unwaveringly. "Your form was just sloppy. Happens to all of us."

"Sloppy for two years, yeah, that's normal," Jinks buried his head in his hands. "Is.. is my career... o-over, Mahi bhai? Do you think so?"

Mahi's heart ached for him. He sounded ten years younger, smaller.

"No, Jinks." He said firmly. "You perform best in high pressure matches. The best. You will make a comeback. I promise."

——————

Jinks tried to tell himself it was okay to not be in the playing eleven in the first match. It was normal. Mahi bhai promised he would get a chance this season, so he just kept his head up, as we waited.

——————

Second match of the season, he didn't get to be in the eleven again.

By this time, he wanted to play so desperately. In his heart, he just wanted to go out there, hit the ball out of the park, and prove the selectors that they were so wrong to drop him.

Mahi understood his yearn to go play. To express himself. He knew Jinks was going to surprise the world.

—————

CSK vs MI. Wankhade. Mahi came to him before the toss and said, "Moeen is injured. You're in."

Mahi had made sure to discuss what exactly he wanted him to do much before the start of the tournament, which position he'll be playing in, and assured him that they will back him, no matter how he played.

Mahi knew Jinks was a classy player. Played beautiful cricketing shots. Timed the balls perfectly. So told him to stick to his strengths.

The chat had brought clarity in Jinks' mind, and ridded him off the pressure of thinking of how the team wanted him to play.

Jinks excitedly said, "Cool, I'll get my kit," and turned but Mahi bhai stopped him.

"Don't care about anything. Enjoy your game."

——————

With no pressure on his shoulders, with a captain who trusted him to do well, and a management that he knew would back him, he went out there.

That night, the world saw a different version of Ajinkya Rahane. Balls timed with precision and perfection, he found boundaries effortlessly, making batting look oh so easy.

Strike rate of a whooping 225.

61(27).

——————

Jinks walked straight to Mahi bhai's room when he reached the hotel. Didn't knock as he strode past the unlocked door, saw Mahi bhai by the table, and wrapped his arms around him.

Mahi smiled, slightly surprised. But he held him, with no hesitation, as he spoke into his ear.

"You played so well, Jinksy, I'm very proud of you."

Jinks was crying.

When was the last time someone had said that to him?

——————

He continued hitting. The world enjoyed seeing the vintage Rahane again. It was refreshing. But the best knock came in Eden Gardens.

71*(29).

It was confirmed then. This wasn't vintage Rahane.

This was Ajinkya Rahane 2.0.

——————

The way he played that IPL, the selection committee had no choice but to pick him. He came back into the team. Got back the spot that was always his.

——————

He was at the dinner table when he got to know. The CSK team were happy for him, congratulated him wholeheartedly. Jaddu was being so loud and excited that it was so painfully cute.

An overwhelmed Jinks caught Mahi bhai's eyes from the far side of the table. Mahi bhai gave him a tiny smile, and nodded.

As if saying, see, I told you!

Jinks mouthed, Thank you.

——————

a/n: istg his comeback is so badass it deserves a documentary. jinks is just the most wholesome person ever omg. the two sixes he hit in the final- I could watch those for the rest of my life I am not even kidding. what a beauty he is.

also how he was arguably the only player who played with intent during the wtc final. he is just something else.

alssoooo his reaction when jaddu hit the winning four is so cute and priceless and makes me so happy lmao

and how he stayed to hug Mahi bhai afterwards 😩💕

dude, @KaushikiKrishnan, you are seriously awesome, I am so glad I wrote this, thanks to you <33