A Story From Junior High

A junior high sports tournament---

---the final game of the prefecture semifinals.

'...Shit! Their blockers are tall...I have to get free of them somehow...with an even quicker attack...so the blockers can't get there in time...' his mind says.

"Faster!!" he shouts.

"Tch..."

'Faster. Quicker.'

That's all he cared about. And with that, you won't win, not like that, Kageyama.

"Soooo ryaaaaa!!!" Tanaka spikes the ball as Tsukishima tries to block it but he only got a one touch.

"Cool! It went right past that huge 1st year!"

"Alright!" Tanaka shouts.

"Tanaka, shut up!"

"You're overreacting way too much!"

"There's still 1 point to go, y'know!"

"Oi, don't strip!"

"He stripped?" I ask as I try to pry the hands blocking my view.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." a calm cool voice replies.

"Shun?"

"........"

"It's you isn't it? That calm cool voice."

"That's a nice compliment."

"Can you please take off your hands now. I can't see!" I start whining as he obeys getting me to turn my head towards him, "What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping that you might want to go to a nearby music store." he states with his monotone face as I perk up.

"A music store? I wanna go! I wanna go!" I state happily with a smile.

"So does that mean you don't want to watch the game?" I flinch hearing that.

Silence between us.

"Okay, let's go." I reply as my eyes start twinkling.

"Faster!!" 

"Kuh!" one of the teammates try to spike the fast ball," Quit messing around! Your tosses are completely unreasonable!! There's no point in it if I can't hit the ball!!

'But if we don't break free of these blockers, we won't be able to win! Is this the end? Are we going to lose?! ...Absolutely not!! I'm going to go to the nationals!'

"Move faster!! Jump higher!! Match the speed and height of my tosses!! If you want to win, them do it!!" he shouts.

--And then, the first set. The opponent's set point. He tossed the ball up behind him...and no one was there. He didn't know how many missed combos there were that day, but the first one wan't a 'miss'. It was a rejection. "We don't follow you anymore." With that one ball, that is what they were saying to him.

"Kageyama, go sit on the bench already."

I told you, but that doesn't mean it's the end.

"That hurts, Shun!" I start whining as I cover the bump on my head with my hands.

"I don't know if that was a joke or not, but you looked serious." he replies leaning back on the wall with his arms crossed.

"Of course it was a joke, yesh. I'm a loyal friend to Shouyo, it's obvious I'll be watching his match!" I stick my tongue at him before looking back to the court to find Tsukishima teasing Kageyama before mumbling, "Just like I did back then."

"Did you say something?" Shun asks.

"Nope!" I reply back popping the 'p'.

I go back to watching the match as I see it has been paused.

"You've been mouthing off for a while now, you bastard." Tanaka states glaring at Tsukishima a bit.

"Tanaka." Daichi speaks getting the 2nd year to look at him telling him not to do anything getting the underclassmen to obey.

"...Yeah, that's right. Tossing the ball up only for no one to be there behind me," Kageyama starts to speak, "frightens me down to the my very soul."

"Eh? But that's just a story about junior high, isn't it? Since you toss the ball to me properly and all, that stuff doesn't really matter to me." Hinata starts to speak getting everyone's attention before he points accusingly to Takashima, "The only problem is how we're gonna knock you down!"

Both Tanaka and Daichi chuckle at that as Hinata continues his speech," We're gonna win against Tsukishima and start club activities for real, and you'll be a setter fair and square! So then you can toss to me! Is there anything else to it?!"

"That sort of 'genuine straightforward' emotion truly irritates me." Tsukishima starts, "You can't just fill the gap in height with fighting spirit. If you think you'll get by on effort alone, you're gravely mistaken."

He's really negative, that Tsukishima guy. 

"Hey, Shun." I mumble to my friend getting his attention before smirking, "It's your mini you."

"Shut up. I wasn't as bad." he friendly glares at me.

"You're right, you were worse." I giggle getting him to nudge me with his feet before smiling a bit for himself.

"Just shut up." he demands as I easily obey watching the game while sitting down on the floor.

"Free ball! Tanaka-san!"Kageyama shouts.

"Leave it to me!" Tanaka replies receiving it getting it to bounce towards Kageyama.

"Toss it to me!!" Hinata and Tanka both shout as they begin to run up to the net.

"Tanaka-sa..." Kageyama begins to set to the second year.

"Kageyama!!!" Hinata shouts surprising Kageyama to look towards him.

For a split second, it felt like time stopped. A smile rises onto my face as I watch. 

"I'm here!!!" Hinata shouts as Kageyama changes his posture setting it towards Hinata who barely hits it but still gets it across the net.

Daichi dives in to try to get it but didn't as Kageyama then turns to Hinata,"All of a sudden, you--"

"But I was right there to receive the ball!!!" Hinata shouts surprising everyone while once again getting their attention to the short 1st year, "I don't care about any of the stuff from junior high!! For, no matter what kind of toss it is, it's one that I reaaaally wanna receive!! I'll jump anywhere!! I'll hit any kind of ball!! So keep on tossing it my way!"

Smiling, I lean backwards to lean on the wall beside Shun. He was also smiling as we both get back to the memory of our third year together.

"I told you, didn't I? I don't care whatever tragic happened to you in the past. We have to keep looking up to the present right? So, why don't you try to pass it towards me again? As many times you want and I'll always be there. That's a promise!"

"You haven't broken it yet." he states as my smile broadens.

"Of course not," I turn my head towards him."I promised right? And I keep my promises. Believe it."