i'll see you in 2

BELLE

"Theo?"

"Annabella, what the hell is going on?" his voice bellows through the other line and I wince.

"Good morning?"

His laugh is slightly bitter and I hear him shuffle on the other line. "Why is there a swarm of random folks out in my porch? Mia can't get out of the house to go to camp. My mom is flipping out."

I sigh and fall back on my bed. "An article came out this morning about you and me. Someone from last night leaked where I was and whatever and voila."

"No one there cares enough to go to the paparazzi, Belle," he assures me.

Then it hits me.

"Well, someone did."

"Who?"

"Gianna."

He goes quiet. "She wouldn't have done that, Annabella."

I laugh and shake my head. "Yeah, sure. She was the only one who kept coming at me and pretty much hated that I was there."

"So you think she did this?"

"I'm almost positive. And when I see her, I'm going to kick her ass. She has some nerve trying to—"

"Ellie, calm down. I'll talk to her, alright? Just get these fuckers off my porch."

He doesn't say bye before the line goes dead.

I grown and toss my phone aside in a huff. This cannot be happening. I was so careful about how I was living here. Never went into town. Hardly even left the property. Had my social media manager handle all my posts. Now look at me. Look at Theo. Hell, he doesn't deserve this.

And it's because stupid Gianna Apolonia can't keep her jealous mouth shut.

There's a knock at my door and I sit up. "What?"

Hayley walks in and crosses her arms. "Get dressed. Something that says southern belle or some shit. You're going to go out to that news reporter and give a statement. Say yes, you and Theo are best friends and have been since you were kids but there is no romantic relationship. You'll tell them that you're happy with Nolan and while you're still home, your relationship is still strong. I told his manager to say the same thing and that there was just a miscommunication."

I nod.

"I call the sheriffs office, there will be an officer round the clock here to make sure you and Theo are left alone and no one is on the property. Had to pay them extra, but it's necessary."

I nod again. She purses her lips and walks over to sit down next to me.

"You know I love you yeah?"

"I know."

"I'm doing my best to look out for you," she explains. "I hope you understand that. It just gets misconstrued sometimes."

"You're just doing your job."

She smiles at me and pulls me into a tight hug. "I'll attempt to be nicer from now on. For now, get dressed and meet me downstairs in five minutes. I told them you'd be ready to go by 11."

And then she leaves the room. I quickly get up and drag a brush through my hair, deciding to leave it down. Hayley used to tell me it'll make me more appealing in terms of publicity. I find some ripped jeans shorts and a plain cropped white tee and pair it with a pair of boots. This looks southern belle enough. I'm not about to go and put a dress on and pick daisies.

I trot downstairs and my mom and dad are sitting on the couch while Hayley and Bep wait at the front door for me.

"You sure you'll be okay?" my dad asks me, concern sweeping his face.