|| C H A P T E R . 8 ||

I thought persuading myself to get up and fill myself with the energy and buoyancy everyone else was having and encouraging me for that passed me as I sat down in a plastic chair knowing my butt wasn't about to do anything special. 

The family was having a good time, chatting among each other and sharing stories that left one rolling on the floor. I sat in my seat sipping punch and wishfully hoping Beau found me. Yet, I couldn't be too selfish if he was having a good time wherever he was, still disappointed he came today as a surprise.

Mama, my grandmother, wanted all of us to sit in a circle outside her backyard - which happened to be huge compared to the house - sitting side by side till it was difficult to see who was across from you from a distance. She still had some youth in her with a couple of wrinkles near her eyes and mouth to accentuate her wisdom and womanhood. Everyone kept their eyes on her and drowned in her beauty.

Different complexions, sizes, and heights sat around in an irregular circle. Others stood up, wrapped arms around another with smiles pasted on their faces. It was nice to see how different we carry ourselves as one big family.

"Today, I know today, y'all are tired..." she shook her head at a woman pretending to wipe sweat off her forehead, "the plethora of greetings and hellos shared, the people may have never seen in your life to the people you have grown up with since childhood."

A couple of nods and mumbled approvals went around in agreement. 

"Now it's time to have some fun, shut up and dance 'cause I've got something for you."

Hooting and hollering created an uproar and she pulled up my grandpa as a steady song played from the music box. The stood in the middle of the circle and started getting down like never before.

Turns went around, between couples and friends with drinks in hand, even Simone and her boyfriend who happened to show up, Malik, danced. 

She wasn't that good in my opinion.

I was forced to get up and dance which I found no pleasure of doing because of the immediate pressure and attention from others. One of the guys that sat by me told me to get up and I hid my face in my hands, laughing. His sister clapped and encouraged me to get up as well then Mama screamed my name over and over as her friends followed along. 

"C'mon dancer! Show us some moves!"

 I followed the guy and we took slow dancing steps in the middle on the grass with people watching at every angle. I backed up on my own and rolled my hips to the sound of the speakers and everyone cheered with a rush of excitement. He grabbed my hand to twirl me around twice. The world was a blur and their eyes, lips, and facial expressions mixed into whole till it landed on one. The spinning was over and his body rested back in the seat comfortably with a vacant look. Our eyes locked and I barely was barely able to catch the small smile he shown till the guy turned me away from him. I think I smiled back.

After it ended, a herd of people moved to the long white rectangular tables covered with plastic cloths and yellow lanterned lights. It was getting pretty late which didn't stop the family from eating at all.

Jewelz said her good-byes so she could put the kids to bed and we were all assigned tables to eat depending on our ages. The adults sat with adults, and kids sat with their mothers. Sadly, I had to sit across from Simone.

Directly from her stuck up self.

Seats were taken place, but Simone waited held a white clutch to her chest and batted her eyes impatiently, waiting for Malik to pull out her seat in an act of chivalry. 

"Thank you baby." She piped up so the whole table can hear and of course we did.

Me, I just didn't care.