|| C H A P T E R . 14 ||

Some things didn't need a meaningful beginning like this one. That's why the unexpected ends with a surprise.

Life. What a pleasant gift.

I could say the bluebirds were chirping to began a new birth of a different day and Jewelz took a long stretch to break the stiffness in her bones, but it was sweeter than that.

Jewelz placed something over my head while I dove into a bright mango with juices that oozed out of the corner of my mouth. Jewelz was a fruit fanatic and loved eating dragon fruit for breakfast, but I passed on it.

I rubbed the object over my head like I lost my sense of touch. A floppy beige hat sat perfect and snug, hiding my innocent eyes.

"The hat is perfect." Jewelz chirped, signaling me with the "A-OK" sign on her fingers. I smiled politely as always and chewed some more on the tangy goodness.

"When do you think we'll head to Mama's house?" I asked.

Jewelz checked the time. "She probably expects us to be there by now, but you should probably finish eating first." Jewelz snuck a dirty finger over to my mango and I pulled it away from her reach.

"Hey, I want some mango, Diego."

I was about to compromise with her until she stuck her hand out to snatch a piece and licked her lips at the sweet taste with a slick grin.

I hate her.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Day 2 || Mama's House

The two-story house hasn't changed one bit except for the millions of cars that parked in every driveway, under every tree, in every fitting angle. Jewelz pulled up behind a classic vintage car that reminded me of the sixties decade. Jewelz whistled at the beauty on wheels. I knocked on the door with the lightness in my knuckles, hopefully, Mama heard but Jewelz quickly rang the doorbell.

"Fix your top a little," Jewelz said motioning a downward yank and she combed down the frizz of her brown curls. I followed her movements and pulled up my elongated skirt and top.

The door interrupted my preparation and was welcomed with the face of a brown woman. Mama.

"Why the hell are y'all standing there like statues for? Give your Mama a hug, child."

An extended laugh and smile cracked her physiques, the small wrinkles that dented the eyes, making creases and folds near her cheeks. Her youth still held strong to her spirit. She drew Jewelz into her embrace and muttered a compliment before enveloping me in a hug. She smelled of honey and brown sugar like always.

Different voices that hadn't belonged to either of us suffocated the other room with loud erupt laughter and choking coughs, that could be heard in the hallway.

Mama strolled in with us following behind to witness the older women equivalent to Mama's divine age crackling over ancient jokes. "Hey, y'all better behaving." She warned with smooth sarcasm on her tongue. They all glanced down the hall with glasses in between the hand with grace and elegance.

"Ladies," she said, dragging out the ending, "This is my lovely dear Jewelz who is the god-sister of the Dales kids and my lovely granddaughter, Ebonee."

Their multiple stares burned hotter than stoves and poised over-enthused grins that seemed fake. Happy mumbles and compliments sprung about my growth which I secretly appreciated. They left enough room for Jewelz and me to sit and we took our seats.