THE NEW NEWSIE (Mush)

"Newsboys Lodging House", said the wooden sign on an old building.

*Ah...* I sigh.

Things haven't been easy since daddy died. He was the one that kept the house, and mommy only worked for some small change, since life here is really hard... Now, momma works two shifts, and I gotta do something to help. I tried some stores, but noone wants a girl as a seller. I tried some bars, but honestly, I rather not risk it. I'm left with trying for the Newsboys... Actually, I'll be a newsgirl. A Newsie. I don't think they're gonna stop me, and after last months events, I think it's not that bad of a job... Anyway, some change is better than nothing...

I was thinking about this when a boy came out of the Lodging House. His caramel curly hair caught my attention, but not as much as his blue eyes. His gaze frightened me a bit, he's strong, and came walking determined towards me.

- Who are you? – He asked, suspiciously.

- I-I'm Y/N... I... I want to... – Dunno if I'm sttutering cause I'm scared he'll shoo me, or if it's cause he's even more handsome from close.

- You wanna be a Newsie? – He seems to relax, but still raises a brow.

- Yeah... I... do...

- Kay

He turned around and got back into the building. I blink a few times. He soon comes back out: - So? Come on

I hesitate a bit, but follow this boy inside the building. He's taller than me, and his shirt is tight enough so I can see that his back is pretty strong too... Maybe it was inherited from an older brother, and just like me he doesn't have money to buy a new one when the old one gets too small...

We walk through a corridor with wooden floor, that squeaks beneath our feet, passing by many open doors with beds and double-beds inside, not very neatly done. Should I be following him? This place is completely empty!

- You is late, everyone's gone to the Distribution Center, but you can starts tomorrow... There's bound to be a room for you to stay, if ya need

- Stay? – I start sweating coldly.

- Yeah. Stay – He turns to me, suspiciously – Do ya have where to stay? Got a home? Folks?

- O-oh... Yeah I... I do...

- Why didntcha say so? – He sighs, somewhat irritated, but soon looks at me with mercy – Then let's go to the Distribution Center, I'll show you around

We go back to the entrance, and he starts walking in the cold NY street.

- W-wait! – I say – Don't I have... have to sign up or something?

- Sign up?

- Yeah... To be a Newsie... What do I gotta do?

- Show up at the Distribuition Center - He shrugs as if it's obvious.

- That's it?

- Listen, girl. I can see you know nohing bout life in the streets, so come on and I'll teach you – He says, getting on his way.

- I... I don't even know your name! – I don't move.

The boy came to me once again. He got very close, enhancing the difference in our hights, and faced me.

- Mush

- What?

- That's my name, Mush

- Oh... O-okay...

- And you're Skitchie

- No, I'm Y/N

- That's your muggle name. Skitchie is going to be ya Newsie name, come