TROUBLE (Albert)

- I sold 42! – Crutchie joins the conversation.

- And I sold 47! – Les is here with Davey, they didn't go home cause everyone got done early.

- Well, I sold 53 papes – Albert pulls on his vest, proudly. I take my time admiring him.

- Ay, folks – Jack says, getting everyones attention – "Hurricane leaves 8000 dead in Galveston, Texas"? A headline like that sells like water in the desert!

- How many did you sell, Jack? – Les asks, his eyes sparkling.

Jack shrugs, twists his lips, looking down. All drama, for he's not shy. And all the newsies hold their breaths, longing to know how many papes the great Jack Kelly sold. He is the leader, afterall.

- 62...

A wave of screams, whistles and awe expressions sounds off through Newsboys Lodging House.

- Amazing! – Someone shouts

- The greatest! – Someone else adds.

- It's the best headline ever! Let's celebrate!

The Newsies are in awe, joyfully jumping around. I'm having fun too, but I keep an eye on Albert, in the other side of the room. He's also looking at me. I look away.

- I know! I'm gonna buy new shoes!

- And I'm gonna get some drinks at Jacobi's!

- Hold up, hold up! – Jack's voice echoes, and the boys calm down a bit.

- What's the last time there was a hurricane, huh? – noone anwsers – So! If we spends all now, we don' have nothing tomorrow. And tomorrow we has to eat...

The screaming ceases, the voices disapear.

- Party-wrecker... – Race mumbles under his breath, bitting on his cigar.

Katherine holds Jack's arm gently, she came in to hear the last bit of the talk. With a look from his girlfriend, Jack twists his neck, rumbles, then smiles and talks back to his "subjects":

- Here's what we is gonna do... Whoever can, give me a nickel or two, I'll take it all and go to the backery. I'm gonna buy that apple pie that leaves our stomachs rumbling before bed, huh? Everyone gives a bit, and we all get pie! Whatcha guys think?

The screaming was even louder, more joyful shouts, more keen whisteling. Some of these boys never had pie in their lives, it's one of the most expansive things in the backery. I only had pie once, at my 6th birthday.

- Come on, come on – Jack gets coins from just about everyone – Elmer, Albert, Mush, Davey, Les? Ya'll gonna stay and eat with us?

Most of them nod with a huge smile.

- I don't think we can, Jackie... – Davey sighs, and Les grabs on his arm at once:

- Oh, Davey! Let's stay, let's stay! It's still early!

- The boy's right, Davey, you never eats with us, today's the day! The sun is not down yet – Jack pleads. Davey wets his lips, looks around nervously, but finally nods his head yes.

- Let's buy some pie, then! – The leader of the Newsies is thrilled, and the newsboys with him.

I was looking at the comotion, and so, got scared when Albert rested his hand on my shoulder:

- Ptss, Kitty! Come here – he whispers, signaling with his head for me to follow him to the other hall. It seems like noone has seen us leave.

- What is it, Albert? – I ask, somewhat embarrassed cause we're alone. He never called out to me so secretly before.