LEND A HAND TO MEDDA (Specs)

I stretch on the sofa in the Newsboys Lodging House hall. Specs Is sitting beside me, and he copies me. Today's headline was about a fire in town. Even if most New Yorkers have seen or heard bout the tragedy, we sold a lot of papes, and some of us are already back to the Lodging House. Besides me and Specs, Crutchie, Albert and Mush are here. Jack comes in at this very moment:

- Newsies! Wha'a headline, huh?

- A beauty, Jack! – Mush is excited.

- Listen up, I was with Medda just now, and she asked for help... She's got to clear up some clothes... Pack up the huh...

- Costumes? – Specs suggests.

- That's right. She wants help sorting some costumes. But today I gotta draw a cartoon for Pulitzer... for tomorrow's pape... So I can't go. Who's going?

- Count me in! – Specs doesn't hesitate. I look around, and since the other boys don't seem that interested, I decide to go.

- Me too! – After all, I can spend some time with Specs!

- Great! Ya can get to the theater by yourselves, huh? Ya can go, and I'm... gonna visit daddy-in-law

We burst in laughter. I still can't believe Jack's dating Pulitzers daughter... Oh well, I better get to the theater.

- Come, Y/N! Have ya been to Medda? – Specs calls out to me, boucing through New York's streets.

- Yean, once or twice... Jack and I took hide there one time, when Snider went after us

- Fiooo – He whistles, widening his eyes. – Well, it's way better to get there without fleeing, ya know? That theater is amazing! And Medda is great! The best singer in Town! "I'm doing alright for myself, folks! I'm healthy, I'm wealthy, I'm wise..."

He sings happily, I didn't knows Specs liked the theater this much. But I did know he looks even prettier when he smiles like that, carelessly.

- Ya should sing there... – I suggest, he's not bad at all.

- Sing? Nah, nah, nah... Someday I'm gonna dance! And everyone is gonna be impressed!

- When we get there ya can show me your dance moves!

- D'ya think Medda lets us try on the costumes? Good dancing needs good costumes...

- She sounds easy going, but maybe we shouldn't push...

Specs sighs slightly, but soon smiles again as we approach the famous theater.

- Welcome, darlings!! – Medda is dressed elegantly, with a peral necklace and an extravagant hat. She welcomes us warmly by the door – Specs, you're looking great deary! And you are... Y/N, right? Jack sent you, huh? Come, come!

We follow the elegant woman into the theater, after she squeezes Specs cheeks and pets my hair.

- Here, have some biscuits! – She offers as we enter a room. Specs and I don't hesitate and munch on the biscuits, delicious!

- Noone can work on an empty stomach, right? – Medda is really gentle, she soon points us to follow her to yet another room.

This one is not as big and it doesn't have any windows, so when the door opens we smell the dusty air. Inside, there's piles of clothes and some bags on the floor. There's also an old mirror, some racks and a table on the corner, with some hats and colorful masks.

- This little room is asking for a clean up for some time now... But yesterday I decided to put together a play from last year, so I can't wait any longer! I'd do it myself, but thank God we have plenty of attendees every night! I'll perform and need to attend to my beloved public! – Medda says calmly.