DOUBLE TROUBLE (Oscar and Morris Delancey)

I kick some gravel on my way back.

I bet with Les that I could sell all my papes today, and I got 30... sure Davey doesn't know we bet, but the little boy is too clever. He's great at sales, and I wanna prove that I am too, after all, Les is just a child...

But it did take me a while to sell it all. The streets are already empty, and everything is calm, the only noise I can hear is the wind. I'm starting to feel cold, I'll take a shortcut to get to Newsboys Lodging House faster.

I get into a dark alley boldly, for I am no coward of a Newsie, it's my shortcut. I walk calmly, until I hear a voice from behind me:

- Well, well, well, what do we have here?

I freeze. This voice... It's Oscar Delancey!

- A stinky Newsie... Did you get lost from the other tramps, huh? – I can hear him coming to me, so I turn around and face him.

- Seems I'm not the only one... Ya's missing the other idiot – I frown.

- Silly mistake, my dear – Oscar says, and I can hear a noise on the other side of the alley, behind me.

I look back and see Morris Delancey on the other end, cracking his knuckles. I swallow hard. If is was just Oscar, I'd punch his face and flee no problem. But Morris is stronger, I'm on disadvantage.

- Cat got your tongue? – Oscar pushes me slightly, making me look back at him.

- What is ya morons doing out here so late? Forgot how to get home? – I say. I need some distraction so I can run.

- Brave words for a little girl that's all alone... – He stares at me with flames in his eyes.

I thought about just turning around and running, but I hear Morris' steps and now I know his a lot closer. I'm screwd!

- Why don't we soak her up already, Oscar? I polished my breast-knuckles today...

- No, no... – Oscar talks with a sarcastic tender tone, and gets closer to me, putting a strand of my hair behind my ear. I don't think I've ever seen him from this close... – Let's not damage this cute little face... – He holds my chin and I retreat instinctively, grasping at my cloth bag.

- Though, you're kinda asking for it, girl – Oscar pushes my shoulders with both his hands, putting me against the wall.

- Wha-whatcha want, huh? – I ask. I'm not afraid, not one bit! Bu-but... These 2 might be dangerous jerks... It's just, that doesn't make'em less attractive.

- We wanna play, cutie – Oscar keeps me by the wall, he twists his neck and wets his lips.

- Ha! Ya cowards! Ya's picking on the only girl Newsie to try and intimidate me? That's cos' ya don't have the courage to figth off all of the other Newsies! – Dang, why am I talking shit? He's gonna hit me!

Morris gets closer, raising his fist. I close my eyes and wait for the punch. Instead, I hear Oscar laugh, and a noise that must be him holding his brothers arm.

- You don't disappoint... How corageous... – I still feel like he's being sarcastic – Didn't I just say we're not gonna soak you up? No, it wouldn't be fun enough...

- The-then let me go! – I push his chest away, without thinking.

Oscar grabs one of my wrists, and gets even closer. His eyes are almost hipnotizing.

- Why hurry, huh? It took you so long to decide to go home, now ya wanna run? – Morris says.

- Nah, she doesn't really wanna leave, Morris... Look at her. She's curious