A Place to Call Home

Day 3: September 3rd

Prompt: Surprise

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He didn't like keeping secrets from Nya. 

In fact, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep secrets from her. She just knew him way too well to the point where she could just tell that he was lying. 

It made getting her gifts almost impossible.

The key word there being almost.

As it turned out, it was a lot easier to keep secrets from her when EVERYONE else was actually in on the secret.

Even her dumb brother. 

That was a surprising discovery. 

It all started a couple of months ago. 

He and Nya had been sitting on the couch, watching a movie, when arguing had suddenly erupted from the room beside the living room. Now originally, they tried to ignore the arguing. They had been living with the fighting for years. 

It was hard to ignore it though when Cole threw Kai through the window, causing him to fall off the back of the couch and for Nya to quickly rush over to him, ignoring Kai's shouts of abuse.

There was still 2 pictures covering the hole that was left because the last thing that they wanted was for Wu to find out. 

He would totally go on a rampage across Ninjago City.

They didn't need that happening AGAIN. 

But it was later that night when Nya wouldn't stop looking at his head to make sure that nothing was wrong with it that she sighed and said that she couldn't wait until they eventually got a place of there own. A place without fighting and without Kai. 

And while she drifted off to sleep that night, he couldn't. 

The words that she said just wouldn't leave him alone. 

Truth be told, he never actually considered leaving the Monastery. It was something that he never thought was a possibility. It was something that he never realized was an actual choice that they had. 

But, they were both adults. 

They were responsible people. 

Well, Nya was anyway. 

And something about not living with Kai was appealing. 

Actually, something about not living with anyone but Nya sounded amazing.

It was a weird thought to have if he were being honest. All he had ever wanted prior to being a Ninja was friends. Of living with a bunch of different people. And he had had that for years. He had met really good people and went through everything with them. 

He felt guilty in a weird way. 

Not that them moving away would really change anything. 

He had a feeling Kai would be busting his head through all of their walls if they didn't respond quickly.

The next morning, he couldn't look away from his phone. He couldn't help himself.

It was that ignorance that had made it so that Kai had quickly found out what he was looking at. Kai waited for Nya to leave the room before shouting at him, which he had to say was kind on Kai's part. He knew how much Kai loved to try and embarrass him in front of Nya.