Chapter 9

Aemond couldn't leave breakfast with his family fast enough. From the moment he woke, Alys was all he could think about. She hadn't even touched him, yet she already drove him mad with desire.

Their breakfast was the same painfully quiet affair. The only sounds being the clinking of silverware and faint chewing from each person. Helaena hadn't even brought her children this time at her mother's request.

Neither of the princes realized they were in quite a bit of trouble with their mother.

Alicent was on the verge of screaming at both of her sons after everything from yesterday. Every single day she did all she could do to steer her children into the right direction. Raise them to be good, dutiful princes of the realm. Yet now, she could barely look at them. Helaena excused herself and Otto begrudgingly had to follow judging by the look on his daughter's face.

Aemond started to stand, but Alicent raised her voice. "Sit. Down. Aemond."

He'd never been on the receiving end of that tone from his mother. Usually it was reserved solely for Aegon or Daeron, but never him. He slowly sat back down, glancing over at Aegon, who seemed equally as confused.

"Do either of you have anything to say for yourselves after last night?" Alicent looked between her two sons, noticing the smirk they both snuck to each other. She scoffed under her breath. "Or about Lord Banefort's sudden inability to speak?"

Both sons were fighting their smiles, but Aegon cracked and let out a small snicker as he thought about the way the man trembled before them both. Aemond's only regret was he didn't cut Dante's tongue himself. Why should either of them feel guilty for defending their family?

Alicent felt like she was talking to a wall. Was she going mad? Was no one listening to her? Why was she always the one to have to clean up after everyone and forced to be picture perfect to the realm? "Your sister and her family will remain here for two more days. I suggest you both learn to start acting with a little composure. Aegon, stay out of trouble with them or I will have you locked away in your chambers for good."

Aegon rolled his eyes, but nodded when she waved him away. He gave Aemond one last teasing look before vanishing off, knowing he wasn't the main one in trouble for once.

"You need not lecture me further, mother. My betrothed has already beaten you to the punch." Aemond sighed as he eyed the door. Almost there.

"Oh, does she know you ordered for some man to have his tongue removed as well?" She asked as she narrowed her eyes at him.

He smiled. "She'd better. I had him gift it to her."

Slap.

That was definitely not the answer he should've given her before her palm struck the side of his face. Aemond flinched, then stared up at her with his eye widened in shock. His mother never hit him before. Why was she so worked up now?

"You are to be the perfect gentleman to her, do you understand?! Lady Alys is a good and kind girl, and I will not see you bring any harm to her. I want no more of your childish antics and tantrums. I won't have you insult the poor girl." She growled, but he wasn't going to just sit there and take this. He did it to defend Alys. Not to insult her.

Aemond stood gripping onto the edge of the table with a dark fury growing in his violet eye. "I am well aware, mother. I am also well aware of how Lord Banefort spoke of my betrothed when he thought no one was listening. My father would've done the same as I did. I simply sped up the process, that's all."

It was a small comfort to her knowing it wasn't a random attack, but it didn't erase everything from last night. "And Rhaenyra? Her family? Alys has lived with them this whole time. Do you really think she'd appreciate listening to you insult them and lure them into fights?"