Chapter 28

There wasn't an ounce of life in the Red Keep. There was no overwhelming cheer for their new king. Support from many, sure, but no joy. No laughter. No smiles. Nothing.

A once bright and vibrant room full of tender and intimate memories, now full of sorrow and loss. He'd lost her, truly lost her. It was like the air was ripped from him, every breath weighing heavier and heavier on him.

An ache crackled in his heart nonstop, like a knife slowly twisted until he had nothing left in him. He needed Alys. Even if he was still in the Red Keep, he felt no love. No happiness, no light. All of that turned to ash when she ran from him.

After everything he'd said and done, after he still chose to help Rhaenyra, he'd lost his Alys. She was gone. Did she really not trust him? Did she have no faith in his words?

Aemond stared blankly at the fireplace with his coat on and scroll in hand.

Deliver this message to Lord Borros. Betroth Daeron to one of his daughters. Any of them.

That was his mission.

Not to see his wife. Not to bring her home, where she belonged. Not to storm Dragonstone and demand to know how she could leave him so easily without so much as a single word.

Not to remember the moments after she fled from him.

"I told you! I told you it didn't matter if you used your fucking dragons or not to burn your father's body!" Alicent panicked, pacing back and forth as she picked at her cuticles anxiously.

"He's no father of mine." Aegon rolled his eyes while Aemond remained by the window, frozen in place as he stared after where Braxes had vanished.

"He is your father. As he is Helaena's, Daeron's, Aemond's, Rhaenyra's and Viserra's." Both turned to their mother in surprise. She'd never spoken of Viserra until now. "And now Viserra's daughter as well as cousin are both on their way to inform your half sister of what has transpired."

"So what?" Aegon grumbled and was met with a swift slap to the face. He was too stunned to say anything, but Aemond smirked just slightly.

"And you..." Alicent looked over at her other son, marching over to him with a slap of his. This one even harsher than the last. "...I trusted you to take care of that girl and protect her...and I find that she's been locked in a cell this entire time?"

"What?!" Aemond's eye widened slightly and his nostrils flared.

"Your grandsire found her with your father. He was already gone, but she was there with him sleeping and-." Alicent continued to rant, but all Aemond saw was red.

His wife. In a cell. Frightened. Alone. No knowledge of anything going on. At the hands of his grandsire.

No wonder she ran from him. She'd been some caged animal this entire time at his family's hand. She was scared. His wife was scared.

And she didn't come to him for safety.

Aemond practically shoved through his mother, knocking her back against the table as he tried to make a run at the door shouting. "WHERE IS HE?!"

"Dragonstone." Aegon called out casually and Aemond stopped in his tracks by the door with his fists trembling at his sides. "I'm getting her back here, brother. For now you're needed at Storm's End. She'll be here when you return."