Chapter 12

It was like he could breathe once more as Aemond mounted Vhagar. The flight from the keep to the pits was short, but he was fighting for his life with her sitting in front of him. It didn't help that she was a more aggressive rider, so he had no choice but to hold onto her.

Only a minute he rode on Braxes, but it was the longest minute of his life. He'd never been so physically close to her and it was turning his brain into mush. Her scent was intoxicating, forcing him to hold his breath. She felt soft and warm to hold, but he had to scoot his hips away from her. He'd just returned to her good graces. He couldn't frighten her off with his hardening state.

But now he was sitting comfortably atop Vhagar, finally able to relax and compose himself. He followed Alys as she took off to the skies above much quicker than he anticipated. Braxes was a larger dragon compared to his siblings and even his nephews. The blue beast looked comparable in size to Caraxes, even in their odd build. Braxes was more neck than body, but it only made him all that more creepy to look at.

He followed behind her, trying to keep up, but Vhagar was slower in her old age. Though she was the most massive of them all, speed was not her forte.

Alys glanced back and saw how far behind he was trailing. She couldn't help but laugh at him struggling to keep up.

You're not playing fair with them, sweet boy.

Braxes flared his nostrils with a huff as he came to a sudden stop, almost annoyed he couldn't just take off like usual.

When Aemond caught up to her, she was grinning ear to ear as she shouted over at him. "I thought you had the mightiest of dragons, uncles! Seems like she's struggling to keep up."

He glared at her, but laughed to himself. "You didn't exactly give me a chance back there. If I had known we were racing, I would've left you back there in a cloud of smoke!"

"Care to wager then?" She teased.

"First one back to the castle wins." He smirked.

"And what would my prize be when I win?" She had Braxes move a little closer so she could see him better. His smile was so charming, she wished he'd never stop. He was so damn handsome, she couldn't stand it.

"How about I take you into the city later tonight?" He suggested. His actual suggestion would've had her running for the hills if she knew.

She nodded with a small smile. "And what would you want if, by some miracle, you win?"

A dark smirk grew on his face. His eye looked her up and down as he licked his lips, but he only gave her a half grin as he answered. "We can discuss that when I win."

She felt her cheeks warm as he scanned her. Something about him was so undeniably irresistible. She could feel the heat rising in her core, her heart racing in her chest, the sweat building above her brow. What was happening to her body?

Aemond didn't let her respond as he took off back towards the castle. She gulped and regained her focus almost instantly when he vanished.

C'mon, sweet boy. Show them how fast you are.

Alicent walked alongside Rhaenyra in the gardens. The two had slowly been rebuilding their friendship since that first supper, feeling more like the young girls of the Red Keep rather than the Queen and the Heir. It was refreshing for most to see the unity between the two former enemies. Most.

"Might you and your family visit, Nyra? After the wedding, I mean." Alicent asked with a smile.

Rhaenyra's cheeks reddened upon hearing her childhood nickname from the queen's lips once more. "I would imagine so, but...I think it's best for Jace and Luke to remain on Dragonstone. Though you and I may have found peace, I fear our sons never will."