Chapter 26

Aemond held Alys in the afterglow of their lovemaking, running his knuckles along her arm as he held her from behind. Her eyes remained staring at the fireplace while she held onto his other arm.

He trailed a line of soft kisses against her shoulder as he whispered. "Is everything alright, my love?"

She turned around to face him completely, with her concerned face just inches from his. "Are you sure you're willing to bend the knee to Rhae when it's time, Aemond?"

He stiffened just slightly, but his face fell entirely. Had he not already proven where his loyalties truly lied? "Yes...why do you ask?"

"Well...what happens when...that happens?" She asked, which only made him scrunch his face with confusion. "I'd imagine that means her family will join her as well...are you certain you're alright with that?"

"I'd endure a lot worse if that meant I'd have you forever." He traced his fingers lightly along her cheek. He meant what he said, but he hadn't once thought about having to once again live with his nephews. Alys was willing to stand up to them for him, but he didn't want that to be the rest of her life. "Are you alright with that? I know your last visit didn't quite go so well."

She smirked softly. "That's putting it lightly."

"For future reference, tuck your thumb under and over your fingers if you're planning to strike someone." He chuckled when her cheeks turned bright red.

"You saw?"

"I heard too." He grinned before he kissed her tenderly. He pulled away, cupping her cheek with his hand with a more serious expression. "I came up to find you immediately afterwards...that's when I knew."

"Knew what?" She asked innocently as she slid her hand over his wrist.

"That I would never stop loving you." He said. And he meant it. His heart would always be hers.

As hers would be his.

Aemond and Alys were what each other needed most in their lives. Both growing up so alone in the world. Alys needed to feel safe, Aemond needed to feel loved. Neither had felt anything less since she'd finally opened up to him.

Neither wanted to lose that.

She kissed him sweetly, feeling her heart racing through her veins. Perhaps it was only just a dream. She knew Aemond was truthful in his words, but there was still the smallest voice in the back of her mind warning her.

When she pulled away from him, she brushed her fingers through his head, then went to slip on her robe and sit at the desk across the room. He sat up, watching her curiously as she scribbled away. "And what are you writing to your mother this time?"

She glanced up with a hidden smile, feeling her heart warm when he remembered. "Those are private conversations, dear husband."

"Oh, are they now?" He jokingly scoffed. Although he was partially annoyed she was so secretive with her mother's letters. He'd kept that scroll he found that day in his pocket every day. A secret vow that he would always be the man Alys described him as to her mother.

He also secretly loved knowing what she had to say about him. When she described their first kiss as feeling stronger than magic, it fluffed his ego to say the least.

"Yes, but if she answers, I will tell you all about it when I wake." She teased, but then noticed the way his face fell. "What's wrong?"

"Does that happen every time when you wake? The whole...possession thing?" There wasn't any other way he could phrase it other than that. That night still haunted him sometimes. That voice. The way her mouth moved but her eyes remained shut.