Chapter 16

The last Quidditch game was coming up and everyone in the castle was talking about it – Gryffindor versus Slytherin, the game everyone waited for every year.

As Slytherin and Gryffindor were the worst enemies, it was only logical that this game decided about more than just a victory, and also for Gryffindor, a lot was at stake.

After the losing the game against Ravenclaw, but beating Hufflepuff in the next one, they still needed a big win to overtake Slytherin and take the trophy.

It was also Charlie Weasley's last game, as the whole school already knew he would be moving to Romania next year to study real dragons.

Katie and Leanne had already gone ahead, while Tia went to get her sketchbook from the dormitory.

When she stepped through the portal, she saw that the common room wasn't deserted as expected, but that someone was sitting in an armchair by the fireplace, staring thoughtfully into the fire, even though it was warm outside.

When Tia entered, the person looked up and after a moment of hesitation they stood up.

"Hey." greeted Vicky uncertainly, staring at her feet.

Tia didn't know exactly what Vicky wanted from her, but she decided it certainly wasn't a bad idea to answer her: "Hey?"

There was an awkward silence between them for a moment, until Tia realized that the game had certainly started, and she wanted to see it after all, so she made a move to go upstairs, but Vicky held her back again: "Wait! Tia... I..."

Vicky stammered and turned bright red, but couldn't get a complete sentence out.

"Yes?" asked Tia. "Normally, I don't mind if people don't manage to talk to me right away – I know what's like to be shy, but I'd really like to watch the game and-"

"Yes! Of course!" interrupted Vicky. "I... just wanted to say thank you, I think."

"For what?" Tia frowned confused.

"For..." Vicky turned so red that Tia had to think about George's hair. "For your help in potions. Without you, I would have certainly failed."

"Oh." Tia finally understood. "That wasn't a problem – I would have helped everyone."

"I've always been so mean to you." Vicky contradicted. "And... I'm sorry. You see, I don't really like you, but... but that's no reason to always tease you. You never did anything to me."

Tia looked at Vicky. "Why don't you like me?" Tia asked her. "I mean... Overall, it's your decision, but maybe there's a reason I could change so that perhaps we understand each other better in the future?"

"It's just..." again, Vicky didn't seem to be able to get a complete sentence out until she took a deep breath and began once more. "It's just that I've had to be perfect all my life. My parents are purebloods – so, real purebloods. They hate muggles and muggleborns, and they raised me that way too. I'm their only child, so they've always expected more from me – I always had to be the smartest, the best, the most gifted, the most beautiful... and then you came. A mud- I mean muggleborn, who immediately makes friends, always seems to have fun, is already a legend at Hogwarts on the first day and has talent and beauty. You've always been what I've always had to be, but never have been and never will be."

"Your parents don't sound very nice." Tia admitted quietly. "Maybe you should be who you are. You are smart – in class, you are always the best. If you have any problems with your parents, tell me. Together, we will certainly find a solution."

"That's nice, but no." Vicky refused. "And we'll probably never be friends, but I won't tease you anymore – I promise."

"That's nice of you." Tia smiled broadly. "And if you ever need someone to talk to. I'm always here."