Chapter 1

A misty moonlit night casts eerie shadows across the university of Sunnydale. The air is thick with tension as Buffy patrols the grounds. Her every step is calculated, her senses heightened. Buffy's blonde hair ripples in the wind as she clutches a wooden stake in one hand and her trusty crossbow in the other. She moves with a confidence that only comes from years of experience, every movement purposeful and deliberate. She stops suddenly, her head tilting slightly as if listening to a distant sound. Her eyes narrow, scanning the darkness. A twig snaps, and her attention snaps with it. From the shadows emerges a group of three vampires, their eyes glowing yellow in the dim light.

"Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the whole "intimidating vampire" thing? It's been done. A lot. Just come out so we can get this over with." Buffy says.

"Slayer!" One snarls.

"Yeah, I know." Buffy says.

The three step out of the foliage. With lightning speed, Buffy lunges forward, staking a Vampire 1 with a swift, practiced move. The vampire disintegrates into dust with a soft hiss. The other two vampires snarl, revealing their fangs, and charge at Buffy.

She flips over Vampire 2, kicking him in the back and sending him crashing into a tree. Vampire 3 lunges at her from the side, but she spins and fires her crossbow right into his heart. Gone.  As Vampire 2 tries to recover, Buffy swiftly loads a crossbow bolt and fires again. The bolt pierces the vampire's heart, and he lets out a guttural scream before turning to dust.

"I think he got the point." Buffy says to herself as she amuses herself with her own joke.

She slings the crossbow across her back and walks off, job well done.

A distance away someone watches her, It's spike.

He lights a cigarette as he talks to himself.

"Watch your mouth, little girl. You should know better than to tempt the fates that way. Cause the big bad is back—"

ZZZZZZ!

Spike gets electrocuted and falls to the ground. The initiative commandos sweep in and take him away.

Inside Professor Walsh's office.

Walsh is sitting behind her desk and has a serious expression on her face.

Walsh: "So, the Slayer."

Buffy: "Yeah. That's me."

Buffy is sitting in front of Walsh's desk, looking a tad nervous, with Riley standing slightly behind her.

Walsh: "We thought you were a myth. Then we found two of you, the other a fallen angel so to speak."

Buffy: "Yeah, I've met too many fallen Angels."

Walsh: "And to think all that time you were sitting in my class. Well, most of those times. I always knew you could do better than a B minus. Now I understand your energies were directed in the same places as ours, in fact. It's only our methods that differ. We use the latest in scientific technology and state-of-the-art weaponry and you, if I understand correctly, poke them with a sharp stick."

Buffy: "Well, it's more effective than it sounds."

Walsh: "Oh, I'm quite sure of that. As I'm just as sure that we can learn much from each other. I'm working on getting you clearance to come into the Initiative. I think you'll find the results of our operation most impressive. I hope we can start working together."

Buffy: "Yes, definitely."

Buffy gets up. "Sorry, I have to get to class."

"Of course." Walsh says with a smile.