Chapter 7

Graham recovers from the paralysis toxin. Buffy, Rhys, Riley and Naomi storm in.

"How is he doctor?" Riley asks the medic.

Rhys pushes past both of them.

"What happened out there?" Rhys demands.

"He's just getting back use of his vocal cords." The doctor says.

"He can speak." Naomi says coldly.

"We were attacked by these...things. I saw him go down and...."

"You left him." Naomi said.

"I had no choice." Graham says.

"Where did they take him?" Rhys demands.

"It looked like they were headed towards the tree line on the edge of the city. I'm not sure." Graham says.

"All right, enough he's still recovering." Riley says.

Rhys and Naomi exit abruptly.

Buffy has never seen Rhys this determined, this cold.

—-
Buffy, the one worthy sacrifice. Buffy, the one chosen to stop the forces of evil may just be what leads them to victory. This realization and the capture of Peter weigh on the group.

Rhys storms past everyone ready to go after Peter. Buffy and Riley join the group.

Rhys and Naomi address the group for a moment.

"I'm going after him." Rhys says. "Anyone else?"

"I will."  Naomi says. Rhys gives her an appreciative look.

"Wait, just wait a minute." Dayne commands.

"Wait what? For what?" Rhys says.

"We need to think about this before we come across an army of vampires." Dayne says.

"I'm sorry but none of my men are going with you. Not now." Walsh says. Walsh gives a firm look to Riley and even Xander now that he's in uniform.

"Buffy?" Rhys asks. He looks at her like a sad dog.

Buffy hesitates.

"I don't know if I can." She says with regret.

"She's the sacrifice she needs to be here where she's well protected." Walsh says.

"There is some truth there Rhys." Giles says. "Octavia may be counting on our....compassion. To lead Buffy into a trap."

"I don't believe this." Rhys says his disappointment apparent.

"Rhys, please." Buffy says. "If I know Octavia she just wants to draw us to her. She'll expect us to show up in force while she attacks the hellmouth...or..."

"Precisely my point. We need to stay here with the sacrifice and be prepared." Walsh says.

"Sacrifice? And what about the blood of loyal soldiers? She could be draining Peter as we speak!" Rhys says.

The silence among the group gives Rhys his answer.

"I'm going after him. We're going after him." Rhys says firmly motioning to Naomi.

Willow jumps in.

"I'll go." Willow says as she steps forward.

"What? Willow, no." Xander says.

"They might need a good spell or two if they get in trouble. Plus I may know someone who could help track Peter down." Willow says joining Rhys and Naomi.