Chapter eight

Isaac felt his entire body stiffen as she stepped in beside him. He forced a growl back down his throat as he continued shoving his backpack into the backseat. If he acknowledged her, matters would only escalate.

She didn't seem to take the hint.

Isaac's body shuddered as she placed a hand against his shoulders. He finally pushed away from the car, his friends wore matching disgruntled looks, as he turned to Cece, her red lips drawn into a seductive pout.

"Isa," she purred, leaning forward, her breast barely kept within her skin-tight shirt. "We're all heading to Diaz's tonight. You should join."

Isaac's eyes slipped to Cece's bright Lamborghini, her friends Henni and Sally chatting loudly with a group of boys that strolled nearby. Isaac wished Cece contained more dignity and refrained from flaunting her body and status around. She was shameless, taking every opportunity to boast what she thought was her birthright.

As Isaac's mate.

"Sorry." Isaac's lips remained tight. "Have a meeting tonight."

"Oh." Cece was clearly disappointed. "Father mentioned something. Just another boring meeting, isn't it? You should ditch. Join me instead." Her fingers tightened around Isaac's biceps. Her message, as was her intent, were very clear. Now he had enough and he stepped away, tearing her fingers away from his body.

"I shouldn't," he said, his voice hoarse. "Your father won't be pleased." Deven Banks held high-ranking positions within the Supernatural Council. At times, he was an adviser for the Wilder Alphas. Isaac wasn't as keen to take his advise as his father had been, but Deven was well-advised in all things politics.

Cece's frown deepened, but her face quickly relaxed as she masked her emotions. She was manipulative. Isaac had to be careful around this girl. As Cece leaned against his car, exposed her curves as she rambled trying to keep the alpha's attention, a scent barrelled into him hard enough his jaw clenched instinctively.

His eyes darted across the parking lot, his fists curled tightly against his palms as he franticly sought out the only thing he knew would drive his scents wild. Isaac felt a tight lump move down his throat as he finally found her.

Evonne moved down the steps of the school, a phone in her cupped hands. Her eyes were intent on the screen and she seemed almost oblivious to the world that surrounded her. A frown crinkled around her eyes. Isaac wanted to rush to her side and smooth out those lines, then ease any worries she had.

Unlike the previous days, Evonne moved towards the footpath. Isaac strained his neck, no longer caring if he was caught watching her. As he scanned the street she headed down, he couldn't find her brother's car. Surly she wouldn't be venturing off on her own.

"Isa," Cece fought for his attention again.

Evonne vanished from sight and with an aggravated sound, Isaac's attention was reluctantly switched back to the werewolf in front of him. Cece blinked, no doubt noticing the change in his posture, but she played if off.

Cece reached out and touched Isaac again. "I'm still waiting for a private tutor. We should get together."

Isaac was done with her pushy nature. "I told you I'm not interested." He knew it wasn't wise to cause a spectacle with someone like Cece, mostly because of the position her father held, but he no longer cared. He just couldn't have this arrogant werewolf touch him again.

He turned away from Cece then, leaving her gaping as he climbed into his car. His friends were barely strapped in before he sped out of the parking lot.

"Cece's really got you all flustered, huh?" Aidan said, noticing his friend's tight grip on the steering wheel.

Isaac shook his head. His heart was hammering in his chest. He tried to cool down his raging emotions, but it seemed pointless. "It's not Cece," he finally grunted, his foot relaxing on the pedal as he drove around another bend. He wanted to escalate, but his eyes surveyed the footpath.