Charlie and I (B)

In the present
⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩⏩
17 years later
( Still in the car )

" Wow Dad " Fiona exclaimed.
" What? " He said not looking at her.
" You didn't leave anything out, you had a crush on her " Fiona was putting on a wide smile, teasingly.

Willow didn't say a word. He was sad but tried to hide it.

" So uh, is that all? " She stopped to ask when she had noticed his silence.

She didn't expect him to say anything.

" We had been very close friends for years, we did everything together. We knew our secrets, strengths and weaknesses. We were inseparable,

Willow paused to take in some breath. Fiona listened quietly.

" 8 years ago, I asked her out on a date " He said.

" You did what ? " Fiona asked shockingly.

8 YEARS AGO...

" She'd be here anytime soon, I have to be on my best behavior " Willow thought.

He sat on a chair inside a Cafeteria. He thought that it would have been the best place for their reunion. Charlie had taken a trip 6 years back to continue her education and land a job there. She was the only child and so her parents were depending on her.

Today she had planned on meeting her best friend, she hadn't seen for years, it wasn't a surprise visit as they had arranged it.

" Willy!
She yelled from afar.

" I see you " She giggled and sped up to meet him.

Willow was so happy to see her, she looked prettier than how she was during school days. He bet she was mature. She was putting on a denim jacket which matched her jeans along with her sneakers. Of course she didn't dress like she was going on a date.

" Willow! You've grown taller and handsome, look at those cheeks, I wonder how many girls are hitting on you now " She hugged him and dragged his cheeks.

He took off her hands

" You've grown too, are you still childish ?" He teased.

" Very funny Willy guy " She gestured.

She takes her sit opposite him.

" Wow! Chocolate, my favorite " She took a bite of the cupcake on the saucer, she didn't make use of the fork.

Willow laughed. I can see, Charlie's still Charlie.

They teased each other, laughed, shared some stories and experiences. The sun was about to set.

" Well, I'd better be going, My parents will be waiting " Charlie stood up to take her leave.

" It was nice spending some time with you ". She turned to leave.

Willow frowned. He hadn't even taken note of the time. He just enjoyed spending time with her, he didn't want it to stop.

" Wait! " He exclaimed, nearly tripping over.

Charlie stopped and turned back.

" That's unusual " She thought.

" Well ? " She gestured.

Willow stood still. He had run out of words.

" I - I - wa-want to ask you something Charlie " He stammered.

" Go ahead "
Charlie stayed mute, she had never seen him like this, she so much wanted to help with anything he requested.

" I know this isn't the right time as you're pretty occupied at the moment, but I can't tell when we'll meet again...

" Don't worry Willy I'm sure we'll...

" No Charlie I have never been close to any other girl than you.

Charlie listened quietly. She had no idea why he was saying this.

" Charlie,
He walked up to her and held her hands.

wi- will you marry me? "

There was dead silence. After a couple of minutes Charlie pulls out her hands and burst out laughing. Willow felt embarrassed.

" Oh.. Seriously Willow, you're really good at acting, have you been having classes while I was away. You scared the hell outta me " She continues laughing.

Willow was furious.

" And what makes you think that this is a joke" He said.

" Oh! You really are serious " Charlie stopped laughing.

" Are you kidding me Charlie? So what! You never thought about this all those years we were very close friends you never saw through me? "

" No Willy, it's not like that. I just never saw it that way "

" Lemme guess, I was your little brother " He gestured with his pinkies.

" Something like that " She smirked.

Willow slammed the table. Everyone was watching.

" You know what? I'm angry " He yelled.

" I can see that,
She looked around.
" You have to keep it down, people are watching.

" I don't care,
He yelled at her.
" The girl I had always admired, has longed to be with, all these years just told me I'm her little brother "

Charlie was shocked. She had never expected this from Willow, she wanted him to stop but he was really mad.

" Willy calm down, we can sort this out somewhere else " She tried to calm him.

" Stop calling me Willy, I'm not what you think I am "

" You just don't get it do you? " Charlie yelled back, her items all over the floor.

" I never belittled you, you were someone I never thought I'd be. You were amazing, talented and I learnt a lot from you. Being your best friend was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I never wished for anything more than that ".

" But still...
Willow frowned.

" I noticed it all Willow and I tried to hide it all, I even tried to hide mine,

She tried to touch his shoulder, he shrugged.

" You'll find that girl Willow, but I assure you I am not the one " Charlie said softly.

She picked her stuffs and left. She was sad. Willow wished he hadn't asked her that. He felt like he was a jerk at the time he reached home but he had to let it go. He was hurt too.

Thanks for reading 😄
Please Vote ⭐ and Follow ✨
I'd feel encouraged to write more.
Love you 😘