1 - The Lantern Festival We Met

GEMINI NORAWIT

----

[Ring...ring]

The persistent ringing of the phone grated on his nerves, a predictable outcome of his somewhat reckless actions. Gemini let out an exasperated sigh, glancing around before slipping into the corner's shelter, hidden behind a nearby cargo truck. With a touch of clumsiness due to the numerous layers of clothing enveloping him, he finally managed to retrieve his phone.

"Hi, P. Yui..."

"This little rascal! Where on earth did you run off to? It's a holiday today, and you won't even let your aunty have a moment of peace?"

P. Yui, his manager, vented from the other end of the line. Speaking of which, it might be a good time to introduce Gemini a little more. He's of course Gemini, formally addressed as Gemini Norawit, an ascending star who has taken the Thai entertainment industry by storm. As an accomplished actor and singer, he had boasted a substantial fan base that spanned across the nation. Not to sound immodest, but hardly a soul in Thailand's younger generation remained unfamiliar with his tunes.

Earning such eminence at a mere 18 years old was virtually unprecedented. In light of this, the media affectionately dubs him the title "Little Prince." And at present, our "Little Prince" found himself bundled in layers of warm clothes, navigating the teeming streets of Bangkok alone.

"I'm in the vicinity of Lumphini Park."

"What? Today's a holiday, and you know that the sky lantern festival is jam-packed over there, right?" P. Yui's voice grew increasingly agitated.

"I'm aware, P' Yui, but don't worry. I've disguised myself, and so far, no one has recognized me..."

"Up until now..." P. Yui interjected. "Share your location, stay put, and your personal driver and I will come to pick you up right away."

"No, P'. Today is the lantern festival,  just let me enjoy it a little."

"This brat, can you stop being so stubborn? What if something happens to you?"

Gemini let out a sigh and cast his gaze over the bustling crowd surrounding him. The clock was nearing 10 p.m., yet the ambiance retained its typical liveliness. Couples and families, each clutching radiant sky lanterns, gravitated toward the heart of the park area. This scene stirred up evanescent memories, leaving his heart tinged with a trace of emptiness.

Following a brief silence, during which he absorbed both reprimands and lectures from the other end of the phone, Gemini finally spoke with a composed tone.

"P'... I want to release a sky lantern."

"..." The scolding tone from the other end abruptly quieted, as if understanding the sentiment behind his words. P. Yui let out a sigh and offered him advice before concluding the call. "Take care of yourself. Return home early. And if any trouble occurs, get in touch with me immediately."

Gemini smiled, finding his manager's concern quite endearing. He tucked his phone back into his pocket and resumed his journey.

The December weather in the capital carried a slight chill, but for a country like Thailand, a light coat was more than sufficient to combat it. However, Gemini's decision to don multiple layers of warm clothing made him stand out in the crowd. 

Adding to that, it was the middle of the night, yet he sported sunglasses, a mask, and a Lion cap. One could say his entire disguise screamed for attention. Those passing by couldn't help but stare at him as if he were an individual with a questionable sense of fashion.