Chapter 5

A loud bang could be heard throughout the Hanshi as Jiang Wanyin entered the room with a tray in his hand, his self a mess, and a smile on his face.  

An amused Lan Xichen walked over to the man in purple robes and took the tray from his hands, the aroma of the food instantly hitting his nose. Lan Xichen couldn't help but stop and inhale the scent. It indeed smelled really good, he was so used to eating the bland food at Cloud Recesses he forgot how flavored food tastes. And this was a new scent. He had to admit food in Cloud Recesses was...not the best. But as the Sect Leader, he could not complain about such a small matter. He was about to ask the younger who cooked but when he turned he noticed the mess on Jiang Cheng. 

The older chuckled before setting the tray on his table and walked over to Jiang Wanyin. He reached out and tucked the stray piece of hair safely into its place.

Jiang Wanyin blushed as the other gently wiped the flour off of his face and straightened his robes. "Enough!" The younger had intended to make that statement into a scold but it came out as a gentle whisper instead. His face flushed more turning redder than a tomato. 

"Ahem!" 

Both turned at the sound to find Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji watching them with curious yet amused eyes, a singular tray in Wei Wuxians hand. Just when Jiang Wanyin thought he couldn't get any redder...he got redder. 

------------------

"So......." Wei Wuxian trailed on making breaking the awkward atmosphere. Lan Xichen awkwardly cracked a smile at the Yiling Patriarch and turned back to Jiang Wanyin who was having a supposed staring competition with Lan Wangji. There was nothing gentle about it AT ALL. The four had eventually seated. Lan Wangji sitting across from Lan Xichen and Wei Wuxian next to him, across from Jiang Wanyin. 

"Did we get a new chef? How come I did not know?" Lan Xichen asked hoping to break the air and it worked. Damage control a success. Jiang Wanyin now had a smile on his face. "Yes! We--"

"ChengCheng cooked." Wei Wuxian chirped out, cutting off Jiang Wanyin, who now glared at him. Lan Wangji sighed and Lan Xichen was surprised. 

"Wanyin cooked?" The man turned to Jiang Wanyin who was now a blushing mess. Jiang Cheng had not intended to tell him that he himself was the one who cooked the food. In case the food was bad he still wanted to keep face. 

"I-yes. The-um chef was not there and I-I cooked." 

Wei Wuxian snickered at his brother. Who knew that his brother could be so gentle?

"Oh." 

Lan Xichen did not know Jiang Cheng could cook. He had known the man for years yet there wasn't a single conversation about cooking. Not one. So this was new information to him. Nevertheless he was excited to eat Jiang Cheng's cooking. He couldn't deny that the food smelt good. And he was even more excited when he spotted the Stewed plums alongside the other plated items. 

Jiang Wanyin watched as Lan Xichen picked up a pair of chopsticks and popped a piece of meat in his mouth. He was very nervous at the moment. He had tried his best to make sure the food was good. Jiang Cheng unconsciously bit his lip as he watched the other chew his food, a few painful seconds later a smile appeared on his face. 

"Is it good?" The Jiang asked nervously praying that it was. And to his utter surprise, Lan Xichen nodded and continued eating, his pace faster now. The blue robed man motioned the other two to eat as well and Wei Wuxian, to Jiang Wanyin's utter shock simply settled onto Lan Wangji's lap. And Lan Wangji had welcomed him wrapping a hand around his lovers waist. Lan Xichen smiled and Jiang Wanyin rolled his eyes. 

"Wei Wuxian! Do you have any shame? We are eating. Get off his fucking lap." Lan Xichen attempted to calm him down but it was to no avail. 

"Aiyo Chengcheng! Just admit your jealous cause yo don't have anyone to do this with. Buuuuuuut...I'm sure Lan-Da Ge would be more than happy to welcome you onto his own lap...and I'm sure you'd be more than happy to sit on it as well." Wei Wuxian playfully said and the couple in front of him turned red. 

"Wei Wuxian!" Jiang Wanyin sharply yelled out and threw a pillow that he grabbed from god knows where at Wei Wuxian who caught it before it hit his head and whined. 

"Look Lan-Da Ge, Chengcheng is bullying people now. Control your man!" 

The sentence made Jiang Wanyin turn red and Lan Xichen even more. Even Lan Wangji was surprised at it. 

"Wanyin...I think--Wei-Gongzi is right." The man patted his lap motioning Jiang Cheng to sit on it. Lan Xichen saw the opportunity and took it, smirking at Jiang Wanyin's reaction. "Lan Xichen!" jiang Cheng gasped and hit his arm, and Lan Xichen playfully flinched pretending to be in pain. 

"Eat your food A-Huan!" Lan Xichen chuckled at the younger's remark and quickly finished his plate of food. He did not expect the food to be this good. For a moment the thought of kidnapping Jiang Wanyin and keeping him as Cloud recesses new chef occurred to him. 

But the man laughed at his own absurd imagination. 

What am I thinking?! 

Usually Lan Xichen would patiently wait for everyone to finish their own meal before moving on to desert but today he was a bit on the hyper side and immediately grabbed the bowl of stewed plums. Grabbing a spoon he ladled a small portion of the bowl and slipped the warm substance into his mouth his mouth exploring the familiar yet new found taste. And Oh! Lan Xichen was in heaven. Stewed plums were his favorite dish and this particular bow; of stewed plums was heaven to his taste buds. He had to admit he had never eaten food this good. 

Jiang Wanyin watched Lan Xichens eyes close in pleasure of taste. His nights in the kitchen perfecting this dish had not gone to waste. For some reason this felt like the moment he has waited his entire life to experience. He was about to turn to his own food when a spoon was held in front of him. 

Lan Xichen had wanted Jiang Cheng to taste so he held the spoon out forgetting that he had used it. But as he looked at Jiang Cheng's surprised expression, his mouth agape he took the chance to gently slip the spoon into his mouth. 

Shock persisted for a moment before Jiang Cheng Licked the content of the spoon and Lan Xichen took the spoon back, his puppy eyes expectant for Jiang Wanyin's answer. 

"It's good." 

Xichen smiled and turned back to his own bowl and ate another spoonful of plums sighing at the wonderful taste that filled his mouth. 

Meanwhile Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian watched the interaction. Wei Wuxian leaned to whisper into his lover's ear. 

"Lan Zhan...do you--do you feel like were third wheeling?" 

"Mm." 

And Lan Wangji was surprised at his own answer, but he could not lie...they really were third-wheeling.