Poor Thing

"Arius! Arius, wake up! Wake up! I just heard the news!" Scuttle called, landing in his bedroom. He got up, sleepily rubbing his eyes. Scuttle grabbed his hand, shaking his roughly. "Congratulations, kiddo, we did it!"

Sebastian yawned, glaring at him. "What is 'dis idiot babb-a-ling on about?" [DID YOU NOT HEAR THE SCUTTLEBUTT?!]

"Right. As if you two didn't know. The whole town's buzzin' about the princess gettin' herself hitched this afternoon!"

Arius blinked, not understanding human lingo.

"You know, she's gettin' married."

His mouth dropped. Even if he had a voice, he would have stayed silent.

Scuttle took Sebastian and gave him a noogie. "You silly sidewalke!" To Arius, he said, "I just wanted to wish you luck. I'll catch you later, I wouldn't miss it!"

He flew out the window, leaving Arius to look around anxiously. Erica wanted to marry him.

He got up and began to rush downstairs before preparations could be made, but stopped at the bottom, hiding behind a beam by the stairs. Just below him was Y/n, standing with another man with long hair and gorgeous eyes. Grimsby was smiling as he talked to them, but Erica looked the man suspiciously. Something seemed...off. Especially Y/n. She stared ahead blankly.

"Well, uh, er, Y/n. I - it appears you've taken my advice. This young man did indeed appear in front of you. And he is quite a good find." He shook his hand, the boy smiling at him politely. "Congratulations, my boy."

"Yeah, but...who is this, exactly?" Erica asked.

"This is my fiancé. Vernon," she replied monotonously. "And we wish to be married as soon as possible."

"WHAT?!" she demanded.

Venom glared at her for a moment, but went back to being all smiles, pulling Y/n closer to his side.

"I've made up my mind, Erica. Vernon is the love of my life and we're going to marry."

"Oh, yes, of course, Y/n, but - er - but these things do take time, you know," Grimsby explained patiently. Now that Erica had mentioned it, it did seem a bit weird.

Arius pressed his back against the beam, his heart breaking as he heard the next words from his true true love's mouth.

"This afternoon, Grimsby. The wedding ship departs at sunset."

"Oh, oh, very well, Y/n. As you wish."

Erica whispered for only Grimsby to hear, "I still think this is odd..." Vernon had heard this, making sure she saw his death-glare. Y/n still had not noticed, staring ahead blankly.

In tears, Arius ran out of the castle, his hands covering his face. He was too late. And he deserved it.

But nobody saw him, except Vernon. He looked after him as Y/n put her head against his chest. Looking down at her - and a shell necklace around him - he chuckled darkly.

-

At sunset, the ship began to leave. Arius watched from the deck, coming out slowly as it drifted away. Sniffling, he leaned himself against one of the poles and slowly slumped to sitting, his head in his knees.

Sebastian crawled up to him, sadly putting his head on his leg, the spell having worn off once Arius had broken it himself, and upset with himself that he could not have done more for the prince.