Changes

You wandered the halls of the mansion. Something was off. It was silent.

You were entirely alone. But you had never been left at home on your own before. You counted between 1 and 5 as you paced. Like the night before. Memories poured in. Raven was here less than 24 hours ago... Erik too.

Alex and Banshee had gone home. Moira, Hank and Charles were at the hospital. You begged to go with them.

"Please! He's my brother!" But your cries were dismissed and you were taken home. The thoughts of everything that had happened were getting too much, and the night was rapidly approaching. You longed for your brother to come home.

You flinched and threw your hands to your ears as a sudden noise started. After a minute you realised it was the home phone. You ran through the halls and picked it up. If it was the guys at the hospital, they would speak first.

"Y/n? It's Hank, Charles is gonna be ok, I'm still not sure when we'll be back, but just thought you'd want a little reassurance,"

"Hank?" You suddenly heard in the background. "Are they ok?"

"Hank, is that Charles? Can I speak to him?"

"Uhh, they're ok Charles... umm, they wanna talk to you..." Hank sounded unsure.

"Please!" You added quickly. Desperate to hear your brother's voice. You heard some incoherent muttering before Hank came back.

"It sounds like we'll be able to leave soon, I expect we'll be back by the morning latest..."

"Can I speak to Charles?" You repeated, having not been given a real yes or no.

"He said he'll see you when we get back," disappointment filled your stomach.

"Oh, ok,"

"See you soon," you listened to the gentle hum of the phone as the line was disconnected and let out a sigh.

You tossed and turned in bed. Unsettled by everything. You missed everyone. Even Hank! You sat up and got back out of bed. Completely awake. You grabbed a book and tried distracting your mind in the world of the pages.

But only a few pages in and you heard the familiar click of the door.

Followed by familiar voices.

"Are you alright, Charles?"

"I'll be fine,"

"Should I get y/n?"

"Only if they're awake," you immediately threw yourself through the door and ran down the stairs.

"I'm awake! I'm awake! I'm awake!" You got to the bottom of the stairs and looked up to see your beloved brother standing-

You froze. Charles looked up at you from where he was sat.

"I know I probably should've told you before we came home, but I didn't want to leave you alone with that thought," your eyes welled up as you really realised what had been done. The permanent damage of the day.

"Was that...? Did Erik...?" You couldn't find the words. Charles just nodded and sighed.

"It was caused by the bullet Erik directed, yes," you had no more words. Any you wanted to form failed to come out. You just stood there with your mouth open and breathing heavily from anxiety with tears making their way down your cheeks. "But it's all going to be ok, y/n, I promise,"

"I'm so sorry this happened!" You cried. You clenched your fists as you tried to stop the tears but failed. "I'm so sorry!"

"It's ok, we'll adjust eventually, this is a change we can get through together," Charles held your hand as he spoke. Releasing your grip with his own. "Don't cry, why don't you get some sleep, it's been a long day," you had no energy left to argue. Hank took you upstairs and you went to sleep. Waking up multiple times... but still slept.

You sat in a chair next to Charles by one of the windows.

"Is there anything else you want to ask?" You couldn't make eye contact, as much as you wanted to.

"I don't think so..." you shook your head gently and fidgeted with your hands as you spoke.

"How do you feel now?" He placed a hand on your knee to stop you from leg bouncing.

"Sad, angry... and scared" you listed slowly. "I'm sad because I miss Raven and Erik... and because now you're stuck like that forever," you gestured towards Charles' wheelchair. "I'm also angry because of how careless Erik was with his aim... and because Moira thought it was a good idea to shoot a metal bender in the first place!"

"Y/n, we didn't know this would happen, it was an accident,"

"But it still happened! Everything still happened!" Charles swallowed hard and quickly rubbed his eyes.

"Why are you scared then? You said you feel scared..." you thought for a moment.

"I... don't know, I just feel shaky at the randomest of times and I don't understand why! It just starts up, and it makes me feel sick," you finally gathered the courage to look. You needed to get used to it after all. You watched as Charles gazed at the window. A small tear had began to creep down his face. "Are you sad too?" You held his hand which was still placed on your knee.

"You could say that, yes," he looked at you now. For a moment you both just sat there looking at each other. Taking in new sights. "I never realised how grown up you looked," he let out a small laugh. "It's all going to be ok," you nodded.

"Yes,"

"I also wanted to ask how you would feel about me opening a school... here," he squeezed your hand slightly. "It would be for other mutants, some would live here if they couldn't go home, though I know how you are with other people being here and-"

"No! It's ok! I know it's not the same but I know firsthand about being rejected by your own parents, mine didn't want me for being autistic... and I bet they wouldn't have wanted me for being a mutant..." Charles seemed taken aback for a moment.

"I'd forgotten about that if I'm honest,"

"I think Raven forgot too..." Charles looked back down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring her up,"

"No it's ok, that's another thing we both need to face, it's just you and me now! Hank's going to stay as well, but only to help me physically,"

"Ok, I promised Raven and Erik I would look after you, they made me promise..." he suddenly looked back up at you and gasped slightly.

"They... made you promise that?"

"Yes, just before they left..." Charles now let a small smile creep out. "I will look after you!"

"And I, you! This doesn't mean I won't be able to look after you anymore, we'll look after each other,"

"Yes, yes, yes!" You nodded. "So when will you open the school?" Charles looked at you and grinned his old grin.

"As soon as possible!"

The End

THANK YOU FOR READING!! ❤️

Do you guys want me to do a second book set in Days Of Future Past? Or should I just leave this here?