The Sleepover - Part One

🩵 Chapter Twenty 🩵

"Oh my, look at the time!" Poppy exclaimed as she peered over at an odd device that must be a clock in this world. It was a circle with eyes, one open, one winking, a big grin on its face, and two awkwardly squiggly hands where its nose would be pointing in an obtuse angle. Poppy turned back to You, getting up shakily and offering a wing to help boost You to your feet. "It'll be nighttime soon, you should hurry home before then." You nodded and allowed Poppy to help You up. You yawned and stretched as Poppy quickly tidied the area, collecting the empty tea cups and plates with forks and crumbs. She swept into the kitchen, leaving You to fold your knitted secondary colored blanket to put it back in its place.

You hadn't thought about what you'd do when you'd visit Home for the sleepover. Surely You couldn't decline. You had a feeling Wally would force You to go, even if he had to cause one of those "accidents" he liked to warn You about. He gave the impression of "I will burn down your house and make You disappear like Sally if You don't cooperate". You sighed at the thought of the vanished star. Poor Sally... Might be for the best, though, she was going to force a kiss between You and Wally in a play You didn't even want to be in. You sighed, then chuckled before going towards the front door.

"Ms. Poppy? I'll be leaving now, I'm headed to Home." Poppy was the kind of person who would, most likely, freak out if she left someone in a room then came back to find no one there. Either way, it was just common courtesy and good manners. "Thank you... for... well, thank you for everything."

You heard the sound of shuffling feathers as Poppy squeezed into the small room with the front door. Poppy reached over You to get the door for You but then her wing retreated back to her body. She looked anxious, like she wanted to open the door for You, but she didn't want to be rude and lean over You, but she didn't want to be rude and lean over You. After a moment of her awkward fidgeting and quiet mutters of "Oh feathers...", You simply opened the door, walked out, and turned to look back at the rainbow bird with a sheepish smile. Poppy's head lowered to be level with yours, not a feather outside of her barn.

"I hope You know that you're always welcome to come in for pie and tea.You can always tell me anything or nothing at all, but I do oh so enjoy your company." She warbled softly, smiling at You. You nodded and watched as Poppy shakily shut the barn doors. Then, You turned back to the road. Here goes nothing. A sleepover at Wally's Home? This would be interesting. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath and a step forward. When You opened your eyes, your breath hitched and You stumbled back, almost falling. Somehow, someway, You were now in front of Home. Home's big eyes cross eyed as it tried to stare at You while You stood in front of its door. You looked over your shoulder to look at Poppy's barn. You could clearly see that it was at least 20 meters away, relatively far from your position in front of Home's front door, mind racing as questions spilled in. But You shook your head. No. You were here now- even if You wanted to go to your house to get clothes of your own first- so You should just knock. You raised a hand to gently knock, but then stopped and looked over at Home. Would this hurt it? You didn't want to get on Wally's bad side by hurting his house. You groaned and held your head in your hands. Why was everything with Wally so unnecessarily complicated?

You were about to literally go up to Home and ask it if You could beat its door twice with your fist, when You heard someone shout at You. You half expected to hear Wally's slow drawl speak and feel his lemon shaped eyes burn into You. But that didn't happen. Instead, a rainbow blur- mostly consisting of yellows and pinks- came from around the other side of the house and rammed into You, her arms wrapping around You in a hug.