Twenty-Six

Auriella Everleigh Soleil

I lean against the outside of the building phone in hand, counting down the few minutes until Grayson would come out of the doors.

Ambrosi had things to do and there was no way I was letting Grayson, a small-town boy try and get himself around New York City all by himself.

I lift my head when I hear the door open and a couple of people walk out, one of them being my curly-headed brother. Grayson was normally taller than most people, he was the tallest out of all my brothers but among this group of people, he was the same height, even shorter than a couple of them.

Grayson sees me and starts walking towards me, but unfortunately, he's not the only one who seems to have his attention on me.

"If it isn't London's favourite socialite." I didn't have to look up to know who was talking to me. I had managed to avoid him for the duration of my whole trip, of course, I bumped into him on the last day.

"Jordan." I greet politely but neither of us is oblivious to the sarcastic undertone of my words. My eyes rose to scan over the man as he towered over me, he was taller than both my brother and my boyfriend. He had light brown skin, a mix between his African American father and his Colombian mother. There was a lot I could say about Jordan West but one thing about him that could not be doubted was that he had incredible genes. His dark skin contrasted with his lighter hazel eyes, and his hair was curly and was a lot longer when I had known him but now it was cropped close, he had always been very handsome which was part of his purpose to me but as much as I tried a while ago there was no way he and I could ever have any emotional connection, that seemed to be mutually exclusive to Alexander and I but as far as ex-boyfriends go Jordan West wasn't so bad.

Most of the time anyway.

"Auriella," He drawls out, his Californian accent shining brightly. "What are you doing here, Valiente wasn't in today?"

His sharp hazel eyes scan me and then look over to Grayson, taking in out very similar features one thing at a time. When he looks back at me I know he's perplexed and trying to calculate just how we were related as he and most other people don't know I was adopted.

"Oh you know, just the usual." I drawl out with a smile and a tilt of my head. "Well, it was nice seeing you, see you around."

Without another word I spin on my heels and grab Grayson, pulling him with me.

"The usual?" Grayson asks with an amused chuckle. "See you around? You need to work on your conversation skills, Leigh."

"No, I don't." I glare at him sideways, defensive of my communication skills. He shoots me a look filled with disbelief which has me rolling my eyes at him. "Yeah, well you didn't have to just speak to your ex."

He tried his hardest to look shocked at that revelation but Grayson was easier than a book to read, also Ambrosi had mentioned their conversation to me this morning when we had a moment alone.