A Return to Sanguinem

Mika's POV

Shinoa "Everyone battle positions!"

The team rushed to form a double-ended combat formation in order to defend from both sides of the incoming vampire soldiers. We drew our weapons and watched them as they slowly approached. Adding to our anxiety, the main group of the vampire soldiers suddenly stopped in their tracks a few meters away from us. Looks of confusion and uncertainty were thrown around among us as the tense silence grew ever present. Heartbeats thundered in the silence.

I heard footsteps making its way to us. Some of the vampires began to shift until two of them parted, revealing a noble whose sights honed upon us. The group held on to their weapons tightly and reinforced their positions. I can tell he's not as deadly as Ferid. In fact, it seems as though he isn't a very confrontational vampire at all. He's not holding onto a sword, but rather an ornamental walking cane.

Still, a noble is a formidable foe no matter the circumstances of their rank. Even the weakest of vampire nobility can easily take down scores of well-trained human soldiers and take on dozens of common vampires without taking a single blow. The Moon Demon company has so far proven to be an exceptional batch but we can't take any chances of underestimating our enemies. No matter what, a vampire is still far more powerful than a human...

Noble "Lower your weapons, we are not here to kill you. The king has requested your presence in Sanguinem. He has a proposal for you."

Our weapons stayed within our firm grip, but a questioning look was given towards Shinoa. Our gazes were answered by an equally uncertain expression of heavy consideration. After a moment, her sights were pulled back up. It fired shifting shots between us and the noble in front of us as well as the two vampires holding the position behind us.

Noble "Humans, I assure you that accepting this offer is the best course of action. The king could easily have you all killed if he truly wanted to. Turning down an invitation from him would be... most unwise."

The noble's eyes locked with mine. As with any vampire, the traces of emotion within him are faint, but his face shows a willingness of what I can only assume as civility. A piercing silence continues to slice through the air around us. This moment of apprehensive waiting is draining the very stamina out of us.

The familiar sound of helicopter rotors was heard from the distance. I turned to look at it and soon the others followed. The sound of battering air became more and more deafening as it flew closer and closer and eventually over us. The air-borne carriers and fighters flew past our positions and in time, their visage disappeared behind the semi-collapsed buildings, despite the still audible chimes of the wind.

Noble "The invasion of Japan is imminent. The Council has deemed this place condemned and the king wants to offer your group an alternative."

Once again, the noble's eyes fell upon me.

Noble "Please, you know what happens to those who disobey the will of the Progenitors..."

There it was. The word I dreaded to hear. The strongest vampires in the world has declared war on Japan and we're stuck right in the middle of it... there is no way we could possibly survive this if we choose to side against them...

I turned to Shinoa, this time, my face was awash with fear - fear that she caught on to. Understanding the gravity of the situation, a mist of flame bursts from her hands and her scythe was no more.

Shinoa "Everyone disengage. We're going along with them."

A wave of shock ran through the rest of the group.

Yuichiro "What?! Shinoa you can't be serious!"

Shinoa "Yuu, please. Put down your weapon, that's an order."