Cold and Unfeeling

Mika's POV

The soft glow of artificial light filtered through the partially closed curtains, casting delicate shadows on the pale, sterile walls of the palace's medical room. The air was cold, and the room was filled with the faint hum of medical equipment and odd machinery, a steady reminder of the battle being fought within.

Yuichiro lay on the bed. Unconscious but breathing and stable. He's been like this for a few hours now but we've been told that he will wake up soon.

The room was fairly large, but a few people were lingering within it. Myself, Shinoa, Mitsuba, Kimizuki, Yoichi, Narumi, Aster, Lest Karr, and lastly - the person who my gaze is currently fixated to, the one who is conducting this experiment and reassures us that Yuu will wake up - (Y/N). Similar to how we first met him, he had his back turned on us. His figure stood in front of the window as the lights danced around him, creating an elongated silhouette that acts as a precursor to his intimidating presence.

(Y/N) "Speak your mind, Mika. I don't like having to read it from a distance for so long."

The sudden call took me by surprise. I jumped in my seat sightly as I felt my muscles tense up. Upon observing the room, it seems that everyone who isn't a vampire shares my sentiment.

Mika "Your Majesty... I'm not so sure about this experiment... The Seraph within him has proven destructive to Yuichiro's own body in the past and-"

(Y/N) " 'And it's dangerous to be playing with powers beyond our comprehension'? "

He called me out on every word I would have said... my lips closed, and I nodded, suspecting that even the mere gesture is detectible by him.

(Y/N) "That is where you're wrong. The power held by The Seraphs are inapprehensible by most. The nature in which they work, even more so - but I understand it well. Yuichiro will awake unharmed shortly."

Mika "So you say, Your Majesty, but..."

Just as I was about to object, (Y/N)'s claim proved correct. Almost as if he had a button that could somehow activate Yuu's consciousness, the noirette awoke and perched himself upon his arms. A collective sigh of relief and amazement became audible throughout the room as many of us crowded around him to ask how he's feeling. Although my own relief was evident, I can't help but look past the cascade of figures towards the one still bathed in the luminous light of the caverns beyond the window. His presence rivals the coldness of the room...

Yuu "Hey Mika!"

Finally, I turned to face Yuu. His eyes were fully on me as a warm smile settled itself on his face. A warm and comforting sensation bloomed within me, a sensation that reminded me of the humanity that I still cling on to, faint as it may be. Eventually, his smile fades, replaced by an inquisitive expression.

Yuu "How long was I out for?"

A gulp of breath, and I answered:

Mika "Around 6 hours..."

A surprised look crept up on to his face. It would appear as though he expected to be out for longer.

Yuu "Huh... what happened?"

(Y/N) "The initial analysis was successful and the results are consistent with the majority of other Seraph subjects."

We all turned to the 3rd Progenitor as he spoke, his scarlet eyes finally acknowledging our presence. Undisrupted, he continued his report of the incident with a biting coldness of complete and total apathy, speaking as though he is reporting his scientific experiment was performed on a completely lifeless and mundane object.