The Red Death

Mika's POV

The garden was bathed in a soft, blue glow as the moon's light lustered on, casting long shadows across the flowers and bushes. A heavy atmosphere hung in the air, thick with unspoken words and nervous energy. The silence was palpable, each passing moment feeling like an eternity.

Those of us who knew of the danger we've found ourselves in dared not to speak, those who don't are at the mercy of their uncertainty. I felt my arm shift as a force was pushing against it. My eyes dotted down and I saw Yuu trying to pry my hand off his mouth. Although I understood that right now is probably the absolute worst time possible for him to talk, I also knew that other than knocking him unconscious, there's not much I can do to stop Yuu from being... Yuu.

Eventually, my hand was pried off and he got close to my ear, whispering in a hushed tone, he asked;

Yuichiro "Hey, Mika, Who's the guy looking at the moon?"

Begrudgingly, I answered in a whisper as well;

Mikaela "That's a vampire progenitor so keep your mouth shut. One wrong word, and he'll kill all of us before we even get a chance to see him move."

Yuu looked back at the figure, astonished by my claim that I know is all too true. Not only is he a progenitor, but he's also-

(Y/N) "Broken... how broken this world is..."

Everyone tensed up at his sudden utterance. His voice was fairly light, appropriate to what seems like his deceptively youthful appearance. Still, underneath it there's a tone of something... something I can't pin down, but something so familiar...

(Y/N) "Amuse me, human, what do you make of it all? In a shattered world where your mortal lives are so easily extinguished. I never understood why you try so desperately to continue to exist. To live for ten, twenty, even a hundred years in a world like this, what's the difference? They're all but the blink of an eye."

Once again, the stillness continues to be drawn out from us and from him. (Y/N) did nothing. His gaze was glued to the moon even as the night's cold breeze blew to the side his hair and the loose fabric of his clothes. More time had passed until he seemingly moved, tilting his head down slightly before letting go of a sigh.

(Y/N) "Ah never mind me. It's immortality has given me far too much time to question everything."

Finally, he turned to face us...

The moon's light wrapped around his figure, casting a stretching silhouette across the cobblestone path. A bright luminous glow expanded from the ends of his sharpened pupils, tinting his face in a slight scarlet light. A small smile was observable at the ends of his lips.

Slowly, he began to descend the steps of the gazebo that he was standing under. Halfway down the staircase and he stopped, looking at us and Crowley. His gaze then shifted to the area around us, looking as if he's searching for something - or someone. My eyes followed his line of sight astutely, nervously awaiting what he might do next. Finally, the sharp glare he gave landed upon Aster, the vampire noble who guided us here.

(Y/N) "Where is my brother?"

Aster "His presence was requested by Lord Geales, master. They are working to re-establish the administrative body of Sanguinem as many of the nobles are currently missing."

A look of annoyance crossed (Y/N)'s face.

(Y/N) "Hmph. Well tell him that I want Sanguinem stable soon. We can't waste any more time."

Aster "By your will, master."

The vampire bowed, and began walking away from us. I would've paid more attention to him if not for the sudden jolt of movement that caught my eye. Crowley had stiffened up and after a moment I knew why.