5. The Snarls

TW: Hongjoong is in a constantly traumatized and catatonic state, so be warned about his mental disorder and reactions

*****
Treating Hongjoong was more challenging than they initially thought. After making a fire on one of the metal trays so they could boil some water, Yeosang whipped out his disinfectant and the bandages from his bag. He wielded no scarier tools than a pair of scissors, but Hongjoong's hazy eyes still widened when he spotted them.

With a garbled sound, he threw himself around, babbling maniacally as he tried to crawl off on his misformed hands. Alerted, Yunho stretched out his hands to catch him. There wasn't a lot of space to flee to, but Hongjoong was dead set on crawling into a corner to hide under a chair. Wooyoung, who manned the entrance with his rifle in his arm and San by his side, was about to stand up to drag him back.

"Don't cage him in," Seonghwa warned. "It's a trauma response and he will hurt himself and others in his panic."

"There is nothing to be afraid of," Mingi grumbled. Jongho leaned into his shoulder to gulp down a few exhausted gulps of water after the merchant forced him to. He still trembled and the fingers tugging on his pants were pale, but he submitted to the break forced upon him. Though his eyes were watery in their pity for Hongjoong and he wanted to help, it was wiser to stay down until he felt better. If he collapsed, the fungus had a feast.

"What should I do?" Yunho asked, looming in the center of the room. Hongjoong rocked his body back and forth, but he didn't let them out of his eyes. As the medicines wore off, clarity fueled his pain and fear.

"Get down; sit or crawl on your knees. Show your empty hands. And don't use any metal tools near him," Seonghwa instructed them. Since Wooyoung never met someone with a similar condition, so much effort seemed ridiculous over a pair of scissors. They just wanted to help, after all.

But Yunho complied and folded his towering frame. He held his empty hands out for Hongjoong but stayed clear of the quivering jaws that bared his teeth whenever someone came too close.

"You realize we aren't the same people as those who tormented you, right? We aren't here to hurt you. Please, let us treat your wounds," Yunho appealed. Yeosang snuck up to his side, but they left lots of room for Hongjoong to scramble around if he needed to.

"Look," Yeosang offered as he pulled over Yunho's arm. Hongjoong's nails had scratched it up and Yeosang made a show of wrapping it with slow and gentle movements. For a moment, Yunho's attention wavered from their peculiar loot to Yeosang, concentrating on his arm.

Wooyoung knew him for long enough to follow the train of thought behind his eyes. How he studied the long hair falling into Yeosang's features, a common problem Wooyoung had. Usually, Yunho would tuck it behind his ear, so he could see.

On cue, Yunho's fingers twitched. Before he could mistake one for the other, he shook himself awake. Nothing happened, but Wooyoung snickered to himself.

Yunho had a type, after all. Seeing them get closer eased Wooyoung's guilt towards Yunho. He understood why Yunho was so amused by him and San.

The foul in question was quiet. He didn't bother with Hongjoong and stared at the door instead, as if he expected anyone to burst through their barricade. When Wooyoung nudged his shoulder into him, San threw him a fleeting smile, but no more.

Since he was probably also disturbed, Wooyoung left him his space. He listened back in to Seonghwa's rambling. The laptop sat on the ground next to Mingi and Jongho and coached their approach to Hongjoong's cowered form.

"We don't have to run blood tests, but his symptoms and the period he stayed here hint at an addiction. Even if it might feel wrong to fuel into it, he will go even crazier if all the pain and the withdrawal crash down on him at once. So we should give him a smaller dose of painkillers to calm him down."