11. The Defeat

Wooyoung calculated San's every move. He slowly backed towards the window looking into the inner yard. If he threw Seonghwa down onto the concrete ground with full strength, he would shatter into a million pieces. 

If Wooyoung wanted to save their delicate AI friend, he needed to act fast. He was quick on the draw, but San kept a vigilant eye on his every twitch. Though he wouldn't kill anyone else if he could avoid it, dropping Seonghwa was as easy as a jerk of his arm.

Clearly, the one San monitored most and whom he feared to distract him the hardest was Wooyoung. Their relationship couldn't be too one-sided if he was afraid of a confrontation.

So Wooyoung did what he needed to do.

He stayed still with all of San's amassed attention on him and kept his nervous heart clenched in the palm of his fist.

And, as always, he trusted in Yunho. 

When the other raider twitched in his peripherals, San's eyes immediately flinched his way. His step stuttered, insecure about his actions even when he pledged his loyalty to his colony. 

But Yunho didn't draw his weapon. He merely reached for a squirming Hongjoong with a warning gaze at San not to shoot their helpless madman. As before, Hongjoong wasn't sober enough to realize their situation and tried to flee from the two men holding him down.

San deflated. Pity crossed his gaze since he wouldn't shoot at someone wronged so unrightfully.

But that moment was all the distraction Wooyoung needed.

When his hand made for his gun, San wasn't fast enough. His eyes widened, but his senses reacted too slowly as his feelings forbade him from harming Wooyoung.

The immediate shot reverberated through Wooyoung's body, causing him as much harm as San. 

San's howl echoed through the building and made Hongjoong screech in a warning. Finally, Yeosang let him go and he came right at San as the gun was flung from his grip from the force of Wooyoung's bullet hitting its casing. While San curled around his aching fingers and desperately stumbled away so the door would close on him, Wooyoung aimed at his leg.

He hated this, hated it so much. But San was no match for them. He knew, and he still tried to prove his loyalty.

Wooyoung wanted to punch everyone in his colony in the nose after thanking them for saving him. They didn't deserve San's blind dedication. Wooyoung wanted it all for himself.

Before he had to shoot San and force him down, Hongjoong mauled him. He clawed at San with hands and feet, jaws snapping viciously wherever he could bite. He didn't care whether it was human skin or that of a foul, punitive against anyone who threatened him.

San crumbled, unable to fight him off. He felt too much for those suffering from this world. Had grown too attached to the group to hurt them.

As he sprawled out, defeated, the laptop thudded onto the concrete by his side. Wooyoung came closer with his gun pointed at the ground. San pressed his good hand to his eyes and tears soaked his bandages, as he didn't mind Hongjoong's useless gnawing.

Jongho scurried past Wooyoung and snatched up Seonghwa. Worried hands dusted him off. When he backed away, Jongho sent San a punitive stare.

"I got you, my light. He won't hurt you. Never," he babbled. Seonghwa stayed quiet, aching together with the rest of them. He understood the destructive power of his cure, but he also knew this was his purpose.

Wooyoung scratched his head with the butt of his gun as he crouched by San's side. Yunho hovered near in case San reached for his knife, but he didn't try. Once Yeosang hauled Hongjoong away to give him something else to be occupied with, only San remained, dusty and bloodied, on the ground. His quiet sobs wracked through his body.