20. The Future

Leaving the CRC felt like leaving an unlikely home. It wasn't so much the length of the time the group spent here, but all its events that changed Wooyoung's life forever. It was difficult to depart from a place that seemed so relevant, so close to their hearts.

Without this facility, as scary as its mysteries were, none of this would have been possible. For so long, it was a looming shadow in the distance, a foreign ruin of the old world they needed to bring Seonghwa to. Then, it had become an echo of horror from those slaughtered so brutally in the name of science. And now it was cozy. It meant healing and forgiveness. A sanctuary after such a long race.

Wooyoung would have considered making it his permanent shelter and watching the forest come back to life under the sun and the rain, but their duties called. Now that Jongho sprang around in delight again and babbled tirelessly about all his niche interests, the group was ready to move on. And San's worried heart still tugged him toward his home.

The group splitting up had been inevitable, but they promised each other that everyone was always welcome to check in on how things were going. The shelter in the desert Jongho reformed to a safe haven would center their individual interests. Everyone was welcome there, and Wooyoung was glad no one would venture out alone.

Jongho and Mingi were attached at the hip. They would return to their shelter to get Mingi's business into motion, but this time, with the added cunning of knowing exactly what people needed and how to relieve their disorganized new lives, thanks to Seonghwa. They would bring the laptop along so Seonghwa could communicate with them. Although the AI fulfilled its purpose, Jongho didn't want him to be alone. Seonghwa assured him being dormant was nothing to a computer program, but he counted as their friend. Jongho cherished him more than ever.

Wooyoung would accompany San to find his colony. He needed to know if they made it or if there was anything worth salvaging. Whenever the topic came up, a deep sadness filled his eyes. Though they never said it out loud, he was glad Wooyoung would come along. And Wooyoung was glad that San allowed him into this part of his life. Compared to Wooyoung, whose story was as simple as being a raider and Yunho's partner, San was full of mysteries.

Disjointed from their initial plans, Yunho wouldn't stick with Wooyoung. Not that they could be apart for long, but Yunho wanted to leave Wooyoung and San the space for this private moment of mourning. He would go ahead with Yeosang to spread the news about the sky and nature, and help people understand how to deal with it. That, and they wanted to find a team of medically trained people to mass-produce the antidote and heal as many infected as possible before they turned.

It was a grand plan that seemed sheer endless, but Seonghwa promised to be with them via radio and help wherever he could.

They had the hardest time deciding what to do with Hongjoong. His sanity couldn't be restored entirely, even when some clarity returned as he consumed fewer painkillers and was treated like a normal person. He still often sat in his corners, giggling and swaying back and forth with his arms hugged around his legs. He refused to leave Seonghwa's avatar, but they couldn't leave him alone. In his state, he wouldn't survive.

Ultimately, Seonghwa could coax him into joining Yeosang's team. He knew about the antidote and showing him new sights would be better than locking him up in a dark shelter. Although Seonghwa had to express his mourning that he couldn't be healed, he believed Hongjoong had a chance for survival with some help. As long as he stubbornly followed the avatar he had a crush on, Seonghwa could guide him through the world and its dangers.

"You can take the car," Yunho assured Wooyoung once he shouldered his bag. Everyone else already packed up and snatched as many rations as the researchers left behind. They were rich in water and found some fuel in the basement after cracking its lock.