10. The Turn

"San, what the fuck?!" 

Yunho was the first to find back to his senses and Jongho followed right behind, hopping from the counter. In a warning, Wooyoung opened his mouth, but San already whirled around. A shot banged through the room, making everyone duck. The bullet harmlessly grazed the ground by Jongho's feet, but it made him freeze.

"Don't," San repeated, voice so deep it resembled a growl. "Don't move."

Yeosang stood frozen with Hongjoong trapped in his bulging arms. The patient still squirmed, but Yeosang didn't risk letting him free to face San's unpredictability.

"You can't just take him off those cables, it can cause damage on both sides!" Yunho bellowed, standing despite his outrage about Seonghwa's instructions. Jongho was spooked, but his arms crossed in demand.

"Put him back."

San shook his head. He slowly backed towards the door, past a tense Wooyoung. The rifle was on the ground too far from him, but he could draw his gun at almost as much speed as Yunho. He was a better shot than San.

But why would he shoot at a team member? At his lover? Why would San point his gun at them?

"Explain what is going on," Wooyoung gritted out. Seonghwa needed these computers, that much was clear. Whatever San was doing, it could wait until Seonghwa was available again.

San's gaze flinched to him, haunted. He hesitated every time he looked at Wooyoung's face. As if his current behavior was something that might upset him.

With his gun pointed at them and Seonghwa tucked under his arm as he shuffled for the door, San needed a very good reason to be excused. 

Forcefully, San ripped his gaze away. His fingers twitched as if he wanted to shoot Wooyoung just to shut him up.

But he couldn't. His tremors held him back. Whatever he was doing, it was diluted by a sense of loyalty, so Wooyoung didn't regard it as all bad.

"I need to take Seonghwa," San gritted out. "And I know you won't let me."

"What do you need me for? I can help, just put me down," Seonghwa instantly replied, but San shook his head. His gaze flinched between them, meeting only disbelief.

"Give him back," Jongho repeated, and his upset drew his brows into a line. He didn't try to come forward, and Yunho's hand warned everyone to stay peaceful until San calmed down. Maybe someone downstairs gave him a weird drug like the one that had Hongjoong acting mad?

But there was so much remorse in his eyes. Such a sober regret.

Wooyoung knew it wasn't so easy. Whatever San was doing, it didn't bode well for any of them, and now that he overcame his indecisiveness, he wouldn't go back.

"What are you going to do with him?" Yunho asked and his voice lost its usual patience. It cut like a whip, and as soon as they had an answer, they knew whether San was trying to help or sabotage them. If he had become an enemy.

San exhaled, but he didn't put down the gun. It flinched back at Wooyoung when he turned the slightest bit. Another warning message popped up on the computer behind them, this one coming with a sharp peeping sound, but none of them could do anything against it without Seonghwa.

"This- This can't happen. What you are doing here," San gagged out. He didn't dare turn on his heel, aware he would get shot down the second he showed his back. Wooyoung would never kill him, but he would make sure he wasn't armed anymore.

"What?! We came all the way here to do this, you know that! You also came to save the world!" Yunho barked at him, confident where the others wavered.