18. The Rain

Jongho's treatment became a habitual practice in the coming days. Several times a day, Yeosang would call their leader to their new sickbay and examine his condition. San had to sacrifice his blood two more times, and every time Wooyoung passed by the room, Hongjoong was hunched over the microscope by Yeosang's side. He wasn't aware how much of a help he was, mechanically doing what he watched those researchers do for so long. He seemed to be glad to have made it to the other side of the transaction. And pleased Yeosang didn't torment Jongho in similar ways. 

With Seonghwa's extensive knowledge, they made significant progress. Though Yeosang lacked the ingredients and the technology to create the antidote Seonghwa was imagining, they figured out how far the other researchers got in their project and what was missing from the final product.

The sun added time to Jongho's life, but it was still unclear whether they could heal before he submitted to the fungus. But working on it gave them hope. It distracted them of their fear and Jongho regained some energy to drag his wearied body into the sickbay every day. Once more, Seonghwa worked his magic.

Wooyoung couldn't help since there wasn't anything to shoot at, but he hoped with every inch of his being for a blessing. Perhaps it was too much to ask since they just tempted their luck by fixing the sky, but Jongho deserved to heal.

While everyone worked hard on his recovery, Seonghwa monitored any old radio and device still powered in his vicinity. He could send out a message to explain everything to the confused people using the satellites, but he was curious how humanity got onto their feet now that they had enough water for everyone and the sun greeted them. He tried to avoid being the one voice to guide them, tentative to become a deity he wasn't supposed to be. When he advised the same to Mingi once he left for his trades, Jongho protested.

"But everyone should believe in you! You cleared the sky! You are the Light!"

Seonghwa's avatar shook its head.

"Trusting blindly in the word of singular people brought us here. Let's keep me a secret unless it's utterly necessary. You can carry my knowledge out there without harming people's frazzled minds."

It was one of his pearls of wisdom, but as usual, no one understood his motivation. They could merely accept it.

Though Mingi was eager to start his business, he waited for Jongho to recover. His thigh profited off the elongated resting period and soon the CRC seemed homey as the group spread out and recycled everything they found downstairs. They cleared out the bodies and cleaned the place with the dish soap they lugged around - Seonghwa still complained, but this time less - and while they continued to avoid the floor marred by cruelty and death, they unwound with every peaceful day. Hongjoong never had to go back to his place of torment.

Wooyoung and San found more time for each other as the group trusted their new safety. No more fouls showed up and all raiders were shell-shocked by the sun and wouldn't venture so far into the forest. After spending so much time with the group all day, everyone allowed themselves to move in pairs or even by themselves, where Seonghwa could have an eye on them.

On evenings like these, once everyone retreated into their rooms to brood over the cure to the fungus infection, Wooyoung and San found themselves in the room they remodeled with unused beds from downstairs and their belongings. To spare themselves some work, Wooyoung and San shared, as did Yeosang and Yunho and Mingi and Jongho. Hongjoong often curled up in front of the computer to look at Seonghwa's avatar until his eyes drifted shut. The light brought him peace, so they organized a mattress for him in that spot even when they kept tripping over its corners. 

Wooyoung's and San's room had no glass in the window, but they didn't need it. The nights were warm enough to perch on the sill and look outside over the glorious skies.