Chapter 1: Reincarnation

The curtains flowed with the afternoon glow, the city landscape just beyond the window, and the warm breeze coming into the hospital room. The heart monitor near the bed indicated the patient's condition was stable. It was a quiet, serene place compared to the stagnant, cold air of the laboratory, the girl thought as she stared blankly at the ceiling above her.

"..."

Raising her arms with the back of her hand visible to her, tubes connected to her bandaged, wrapped wrist dangled as she thought to herself.

'It seems that I'm really in Blue Archive...'

After hearing the names of Asuna, Akane, Neru, and especially Sensei, she remembered one of the games she played in her previous life.

- - - - -

Waiting at the stoplight with the pedestrian lane laid out in front of me, passing cars and other students walked behind me as we waited for the pedestrian lights to turn green.

Of course, it was currently red while the traffic light for cars was yellow, and we only needed to wait a few more seconds to safely cross the road.

With everyone behind me chattering in their own conversations, I looked over at my phone to check the time.

As it turned green, many students behind me walked past while I put my phone back, as I still had 30 minutes to spare once I reached my school.

However, along with the crowd of students like me, the world turned as I felt a sudden weight crashing at our sides. We could hear screams along with a loud crash of metal that fell onto the concrete road.

'What sort of sick joke is this?' That's what I thought when I saw the carnage before my very eyes. My arms were severed as blood kept rushing from my mangled body.

I was barely surviving through willpower alone.

'Man... I should've stayed at home and skipped classes.'

It was a selfish thought, yet valid nonetheless. Sure, a student's role is to study, yet most of my teachers barely taught us anything. They read out whatever was on their handouts, made us report on lessons just to be excused from teaching us themselves, and even blatantly did not attend classes and only chose to teach sections with better-performing students.

I wanted to learn, so I thought to myself. I learned more when I looked up information than from my classes. Even then... They say school is important because you will learn many things, but not the lessons that are truly important in life.

'This is frustrating...' I told myself as I felt the beating heart gradually getting weaker. When I looked over the cracked screen of my phone, the last thing I saw were the notifications from a game I last played, telling me to do my dailies.

... As the feeling of weightlessness overtook my body, it didn't take long for all five of my senses to return, along with a strange hazy feeling.

'Huh...? Did I survive?' I thought to myself as my blurry vision gradually cleared, displaying a white hospital room with me lying at the center.

I couldn't properly move, and I couldn't open my mouth. Maybe the anesthetics hadn't worn off yet, I thought inside my mind. While I wanted to know more about what had happened, the door creaked with the expectation of my family, friends, and doctors checking up on me.

"Should we dispose of them?" One of them voiced uncertainty, causing me to panic.

'Hey! I'm still alive!' I wanted to scream, but neither my mouth nor my voice came out.