Volume 2: Two Years Ago Part II

- - - - -

Spoiler Warning?

I don't know because while I was going through my Youtube recommendations, I see some Blue Archive thumbnails about Volume 5 that resembled some events in this chapter. Can I see the fucken future?! Maybe not.

Take note I've been working on this chapter for two months and all my ideas are laid out. So if there are some resemblance with the original story (and also I still haven't finished Vol. F and didn't want to be spoiled), let's just say it was all a coincidence.

- - - - -

In a distant, haunting memory, the air pulsated with searing heat and the echoes of blood-curdling screams filled the air. Amidst the tumult, a fragile silhouette emerged - a small girl, standing resolute before dust clouds birthed by relentless explosions.

Her legs quivered in the face of the raw carnage that unfolded before her innocent gaze. The people, once vibrant, now lay mangled with their halos shattered like delicate glass.

As she took a step back, ominous shadows loomed behind walls of flames drawing ever nearer.

In the middle of this chaos, her short father's gallant back looked seemingly large as he unleashed a symphony of shells that cascaded like misplaced chime bells. Time, in that suspended moment, felt stretched as her mother, clad in a torn floral kimono, approached with a gentle tremor in her voice.

"Ai, please listen carefully," her mother implored, as she enveloped the girl in a tight embrace.

"Mom...?" Confusion and fear gripped the girl, reluctant to let go.

Knowing her daughter's unease, she rubbed her back as she whispered, "Run away, find somewhere to hide. I promise your dad and I will come back to find you," before passing a small baby wrapped in a tattered white cloth.

When she felt a something touching her forehead, she raised her head to see her mother's lips forming into a sad yet warm smile.

"No matter what happens, as long as you both stay together..." Hearing those words, the next thing she knew, "You're always be my precious daughters", was a gentle force pushing her away while her mother's figure disappeared into the fallen debris separating them.

With a soft thud upon falling back, it took a moment for her to realize what had happened. In denial, she forced herself back up trying to claw her way back to her mother's presence.

"-Mom!" she desperately screamed.

However, with her hand bloodied from her recklessness, she heard dry chuckles from above causing her to freeze in place upon seeing a wide manic grin.

Driven by panic, her body instinctively moved as she held the baby tightly and ran with all her strength. She didn't dare to look behind as the loud rumbling of collapsing buildings soon attempted to follow her.

Seeking refuge in an abandoned shack, isolated from all these chaos, the explosions intensified with her only hope being a makeshift blockade placed on wooden door to protect them.

Despite the voices outside, she held her breath as much as she prayed until everything fell silent.

- - - - -

As the thick tendrils of smoke gradually dissipated, the first hesitant rays of sunlight clawed their way through the air. The diffuse glow, once a comforting beacon, now felt intrusive as it unveiled the haunting tableau of destruction that stretched across the ruined streets like an oppressive fog.