Chapter Thirteen: Anarka Couffaine

Monday had been perfect to Sophie. It started off with Luka meeting her at the front doors of the school to hold her hand and carry her books to class. She reveled in the few moments they had together as they made their way to Mrs. Paquette's classroom. On their way, none of their friends had seen them in their lovey-dovey moment, which meant they would be able to tell them all together at lunch.

When the lunch bell rang, Luka took Sophie's hand again, leaving their books in the classroom, and they walked together to the cafeteria. When they arrived, they dropped their clasped hands to gather their lunch. When they had made their way over to the table where their large group of friends sat, Luka set down his tray before taking Sophie's and setting hers on the table for her. Then, they sat down together.

Luka looked to Sophie with a nudging look. She took a deep breath and got everyone's attention. "Everyone, there's something I'd like to tell you all."

The group of students in the grade below Luka and Sophie all turned to look at her. "What's that, Sophie?" Rose asked, with a knowing smirk.

"Luka and I are..." Sophie took another deep breath. "Luka asked me to be his girlfriend last night at the dance, and I said yes!"

Everyone around them cheered. Even Juleka's voice was loud. "That's so wonderful!" Marinette told her friend as she reached across the table to take Sophie's hand.

"Isn't love so...beautiful?!" Rose exclaimed, and leaned in to kiss Juleka's cheek. It made Juleka blush.

"Rose, not at school." They all heard Juleka mumble as she blushed, making the friends laugh.

"Congratulations, both of you." Mylène congratulated. "I hope you're as happy as Ivan and I are." She leaned into her boyfriend and sighed in contentment.

"I hope you're not." Alya countered. "We don't need two Ivan and Mylène couples around here. One is gross enough. Bleh!" Everyone laugh.

"Thank you, Everyone." Luka told them as he took Sophie's hand. "I knew you'd be happy for us."

"Having your support means the world to us." Sophie added.

"Well, you have it." Zoé promised, as she touched Sophie's other hand.

"Hey, Soph." Luka started, causing Sophie to turn and look at him. He was rubbing his neck nervously. "I know your skating schedule probably makes it so you can't, but Kitty Section has a band practice tonight. Everyone's coming to it to hang out after." He looked right into her eyes. "Would you want to come too? It's at the Liberty."

Sophie smiled. "I'd love to, Luka."

Luka frowned. "But you can't cause you have training tonight, right?"

"No actually. I had training yesterday, so I'm free of it tonight. I have training tomorrow though. I can come tonight. It's not a problem, really. My Papa won't mind." Sophie chuckled to herself. "In fact, he's been telling me to get out of the house some more. He says I spend too much time at home and training. That I don't see my friends enough outside of school. Except you of course, Luka."

Luka chuckled. "Yeah, we do do our homework together nearly every day you don't have training and I don't work." He smiled at her. "So, you'll really come tonight?"

Sophie nodded. "I will." She looked down, and rubbed her arm nervously. "Honestly, I can't wait to meet the woman who raised such wonderful people like you and Juleka. Anarka sounds so strong."

Luka smiled as he thought of his mother. "Oh, she is. It's her Scottish blood, I've always thought."

Sophie's head popped up. "You're mom's Scottish, not French? Huh, I just assumied she was with the last name Couffaine."