𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 37 | ♔

"There's a grain of truth in every fairy tale."

╭────༺♡༻────╮

Kyra

Slate had already started diverting the attention of the Librissus, positioning his body to shield us and the door from view. Alfred quietly grabbed the key from the table and shared the plan with me in a hushed tone.

We had to make sure the light glancers were faced away before we initiated anything, waiting for the perfect moment when they softly turned to create a blind spot for a few seconds.

Slate had momentarily returned, my head poked out and noticed the Librissus was no longer there. "Where did she go?" I questioned him.

"I informed her that the Queen was interested in a book personally recommended by a Librissus." he said, his gaze shifting between us as silence settled. In the distance, a faint chime echoed, signalling someone's arrival or departure. "I can't allow the Queen to undertake something this drastic without the King's awareness, so I mind-linked with him."

I winced, anticipating Syfas's probable overreaction. He was likely already on his way, about to burst through those imposing wooden doors within minutes. "What was his response..?"

Slate took a measured breath, his expression questioning our sanity. "He said to proceed." He fell back into silence. I knew Syfas would never have left it at that. A lecture on safety and protection was likely to follow, but those words were probably meant for Slate's ears alone.

Suddenly my eyes fogged over and I felt my mates overwhelming presence in my head. "You better stay safe for me Kyra. God help Alfred if this break-in fails." 

I smiled at his sentiment; after the kidnapping and surgery I could tell he was hesitant to ever let me out of his sights. But I'm glad he's finally accepting it wasn't his fault and allowing me to do this on my own. Apart from Alfred.

"I'll be safe, I promise." I say, feeling slightly giddy that I could feel his presence, despite the fact that he wasn't really here. "How's the meeting?"

"Boring, I wish you were here."

"I didn't really want to be sat at that table." I mind-link back, trying to ease my guilt about leaving him there to be bored to death while I'm about to commit an exhilarating heist.

"Who said anything about being on the table? I wanted you under it," he remarked. My eyes widened immediately, catching the sexual innuendo, and I swiftly cut off the mental link. I could almost hear him laughing in his own mind, grinning to himself as he continued to listen to the Council.

"Let's get started then, before she returns."

I barely caught a glimpse of Alfred as he slid the new key into the door and swiftly returned to my side. If I hadn't seen the golden contrast of the key against the door, I might have believed he hadn't even started.

His plan was straightforward. He would insert the key when the light glancers turned away and then rush back to me as they began to return to their original position. Check.

On the second miraculous blind spot, he would grab me and bolt through the door with his incredible vampire speed. Seeing how he flawlessly executed the first part, I wasn't surprised that he remained undetected during his initial attempt.

"You ready, Kyra?" He asked, bending down to my knees and throwing me over his shoulder in surprise.

"Mhm." I anxiously waited, knowing Alfred was analysing the exact millisecond he had to make his move. One moment I was gazing at the white fluorescent marble floors, and the next, a gust of wind transported me, and I found myself looking down at the wooden floorboards.