Chapter 18: Between Horizons (2)

- - -

Midway [5]

- - -

[Wake Atoll, Wake Sector |USNA Territory]
<< Third PoV | 1132 (Wake Timezone) Hours >>

After the sitting of the Axis-Sakura Fleet off Wakes Island - The thing at the atoll itself was in havoc as well as the fleet that is recently posted here. The said fleet at Wakes was Battlefleet Rennell under the command of Captain Samantha "Dakota" Ernest or by her Azuran name South Dakota. Wakes Island is considered the first line of defense against the Dominion in the 2370s and the Siren back in 2398.

South Dakota: ... Commander Archibald, Any word from command?

The scene changes to the bridge of the ship - much like the Nevada and Massachusetts, her bridge is more ornate and center. The bridge interior was circular and chamber-like - at the center of the bridge was the command chair placed on a raised platform with two long handrails at each side with space for walking at the front and behind the chair. Around it were several terminal consoles - placed in two pair operation pits, lower than the majority floor of the bridge.

Dakota was considered a veteran and one of many that participated during the SCA incursion at the time she was an ensign serving onboard the USS Dauphin, a 2395s Ticonderoga III-class cruiser Mk. 1. The Dauphin and its sister ship were all sunk but it's crew or part of it survived and Dakota was one of these many survivors. Afterward, she gradually climbed the rank much like her male counterpart until she was promoted to Captain - Dakota was given a list of candidates to choose her first officer with offers and alternatives but that was almost five years as the person whose choice was Commander Archibald Emil.

Cmdr. Archibald Emil: Sir, we're are receiving messages or hail of sorts and... Oh no...

South Dakota: What does that "oh no" mean, commander - I need a word, not a plain.

Cmdr. Archibald Emil: Sorry, sir - but it was not a message it was a hail... the hail was addressed to you - directly, captain. Comm already routed to your ready as per the message pre-advance instruction.

He said as the XO soon walked from the front right of the bridge operations pit and out to the captain - his appearance was rash and reckless - in terms of emotion, he was reasonable in the sense of his surroundings. Archibald was born in Montana and has a habit of hunting with his crossbow and is one of many icons, especially in the USNA annual festival and championship.

The battlefleet commander acknowledged this and stood from her chair, nodded to her first officer, and headed to her ready room the moment she used the after passing through a couple of corridor frames before turning left to the ship's captain-ready room.

*Hiss-WHOOSH*

Entering her office - Dakota quickly rushed to her desk and opened the monitor where it was shown that the call was ready to be answered. As per protocol - She has to seal the room before reading any sensitive information and this applies to all levels and even the admiral isn't immune to this.

South Dakota: Computer - active terminal, seal the room - no one is entering without my authorization and active the damper.

Monitor[Computer Voice]: Doors and room are sealed.

After all aspects of the room were sealed - Dakota typed in a few key buttons. Soon, her monitor showed the usual USN emblem and the identification with one side being the receiver and the other being the sender. The sender was soon revealed to be from the USN Pacific Headquarters, Admiral Nimitz.

South Dakota: Admiral Nimitz.

Monitor [Adm. Nimitz]: Captain, I hope you have thoughts about our options over there and I like to hear yours.