Chapter 22: Frost Nightmare (2)

[Black Fang... why aren't you guys back yet?]

Paula asked from the other side of the call with a tinge of worry in her voice. Anxious as to what happened to them since they haven't arrived when the promised time has already passed.

"... Something... happened, so we had to take a stop for a bit"

Tsugumi said with a sigh as she gathered all the raw ingredients inside the building and placed them inside her bag. Deciding to spend her time like this while she waited for Mamoru to calm down.

[Something happened? Is it bad?]

"... Yeah... Mamoru's having a breakdown right now"

[Huh? A breakdown??]

"... Out of 16 people that we were supposed to rescue. We only managed to save 4 of them, and most of the ones that died are close friends of Mamoru. That's why he's been silent since a while ago"

[... What the hell happened? You, out of all people, failed a mission? How did you lose 12 of our rescue targets?]

"We couldn't do anything... we're in an extremely dangerous location right now"

She said before she glanced at Mamoru who was leaning against the wall. Having difficulty trying to control his emotions while clenching his chest.

[Where are you?]

"We're in Tokyo"

She answered, causing the other side of the radio to suddenly become rowdy in response. As if they were all shocked about what they just heard.

[Did I hear that right? You two are in Tokyo!?!?]

"Yeah..."

[What the- ARE YOU TWO SUICIDAL!?!? OUT OF ALL THE PLACES YOU COULD GO, YOU WENT TO THE PLACE WITH THE HIGHEST POPULATION!?]

"..."

[Why didn't you stop him!?]

"... I thought we could handle it but... it looks like the military in Tokyo wasn't able to fend back the hoard. We underestimated this place too much"

[You... *sigh*... So, when are you two coming back?]

"Once Mamoru calms down, we'll immediately leave"

[... Hurry up. To be honest, if you want to go back to Chiba. Now's probably the greatest time to do so. Even if you drive a vehicle with a loud engine, you won't get caught by the zombies due to how loud the wind is. The road is a bit slippery that's for sure, but your safety can be guaranteed in terms of the zombie hoard. Just... control your speed or find a vehicle whose wheels have a good grip on ice]

"Sure... just give us like... one or two hours and we'll be on our way"

She said before she threw the raw chicken inside the bag. Placing all meat and seafood she could find in the large fridge before moving to the dry ingredients stored on the shelves.

"What a dysfunctional team we have..."

She said before glancing at both Tadokoro and Erina, who were also trying to calm themselves down. Tadokoro blames herself for Soma's death, and Erina is still unable to forget how her friend, Hisako, died in front of her. Ikumi on the other hand was sitting next to a fire that they made by burning anything they could find within the warehouse to warm her body down.  The only ones who could function properly are her and Alice.

"You doing good?"

Alice asked as she walked towards her. Carrying several packets of herbs and spices on the large basket she was pushing around. Making Tsugumi nod her head in response before she started packing it all up in the bag.