01

Chapter 1
Cousins beach

☼

The sun was leaking into the car window making the growing heat increase with every second that passed by in the already hot car. It didn't help that Bonnie was already dressed in a thick tracksuit, covering every inch of her pale body.

Her mother sighed, watching the girl as she curled up further into a ball on the passenger seat.

"Are you excited?" She beams, looking at her daughter with a wide smile. "Get to see everyone again. We haven't seen them since Christmas." The mother smiles, remembering how chaotic the holiday was. Chaotic but full of life. 

"Yeah. Can't wait." The girl says, clearing her throat at the awkwardness. Truth be told the girl didn't want to attend this annual summer. She just wanted to stay home and stay in her bedroom. Now she had to do that in a giant house with eight people running around.

"Y'know, sweetie." The mother begins, glancing at her daughter once again. "I was thinking that you could put that night behind you for this summer. Just until we-"

"Mom." Bonnie interrupts sternly. 

"I worry, baby." Sophie says, a sad and desperate tone to her voice. "Can you talk to someone then?" She asks, "I mean Jere and you are close in age. Belly is the only other girl so you'd feel comfortable with her, right? Steven's always sweet, he's a good listener as well. There's Conrad, you two have always been close. Have you called him at all about this?"

"I'm fine, Mom." The girl rasps, closing her eyes and trying to sleep for the last 2 hours of the trip to Cousins.

"Do you want anything from the gas station, sweetie?" Sophie asks her daughter, stepping out of the car.

"No. We're nearly at Cousins anyway." Bonnie mumbles, pushing her earphones back into her ears.

"Ok." Sophie smiles sadly before walking into the store. 

She glances down at her phone and sees a notification from '3 amigos'

Sue: How's she doing?

Laur: She on the mend yet?

Soph: She won't open up. Still in her own bubble. Hoping this summer will cheer her up :)

Driving up the driveway to the summer house was always thrilling, especially when you're favourite people were rushing out the door to greet you. The smell was the same. The tick salty air attacking your senses. It looked the same. Bright green trees surrounded the house almost keeping it in a personal shell.