04

Chapter 4
Next year

☼

"You hungover yet?" Bonnie smiles, walking into the living room only to see a disheveled and suffering looking Conrad laying on the couch. 

"Yep." He groans, opening his eyes and sitting up once he sees her dressed in faded denim shorts and a red bikini top. "Where are you going?" He asks, looking at with confusion.

"I'm just gonna head down to the beach." She nods, looking down at her feet.

"Oh, ok." He nods, laying back down and reaching over to sip on Jerimiah's 'miracle' hangover smoothie.

"It's going to work!" Jerimiah laughs, smiling as Belly walks in.

"Bonnie." Sophie's loud and authorial voice is suddenly heard, almost making the girl flinch as she turns around to see her mother standing in the hallway. "Let's go talk." She nods, walking away to a secluded room.

Bonnie sighs as she follows after her, just wanting the day to be over already. "Yeah?" She asks, not daring to look at her mother in the eye.

"What do you mean, yeah?" Sophie says, scoffing slightly. "Last night you nearly took my head off." She hisses, unaware of the bottling anger Bonnie is harvesting. 

"Yeah, for good reason!" Bonnie shouts, not loud enough for anyone to hear but enough to get her point across.

"Listen to me." Sophie says, "I've booked you into counselling sessions." She crosses her arms, watching her daughter's face scrunch up in betrayal and anger.

"What?! No!" This time Bonnie's voice is loud enough for everyone to hear. 

Laurel's eyes snap up towards the direction of the voices and she bites on her lip anxiously as the other children look at each other in confusion. 

"It's to help you understand that it wasn't your fault so you can move past her." Sophie whispers softly.

"Mom, listen to me. I don't want your help. I don't need your help. Just let me do this on my own." She begs, her anger levels growing higher and higher. "I'm not going to some shrink." She walks back into the living room with a forced smile on her face and takes a seat next to Conrad.

He looks at her as if going to say something but is cut off. "Oh my god!" Susannah yells in glee as she runs into the room. "Belly is gonna be a debutante!" She cheers, smiling at her and pulling the girl into a tight hug.