02

Chapter two
Snooping

☼

Sitting at the dinner table was awkward to say the least. Conrad and Bonnie had both blitz through over half of the bottle of vodka in 20 minutes. 

Both teenagers were trying their hardest to look sober in front of their parents. They were sat next to each other with their mouths shut and eyes on the plates in front of them. 

"Steven, I swear to god if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel says, glaring at Jeremiah and Steven whose eyes were glued to something on Steven's phone.

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces." Susannah smiles at the pair. "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days."

"Steven!" Jeremiah says, snatching the phone out of his hands with a clutter of the dishes on the table, causing Bonnie to jump slightly. He lines up the shot and throws Steven's phone into the basket on the side.

"Dude, are you kidding me?" Steven groans.

"Boom! Nailed it." Jeremiah grins in triumph.

"Ok, ok, ok. We get it, you've been working out." Steven snaps, nodding his head.

"Oh! You're just jealous that Jere has a better body than you." Belly laughs.

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now." Steven says, rolling his eyes. "Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits." He adds, making everyone moms laugh.

"Sure, sure." 

"Tailored suits." Conrad scoffs, his voice slightly slurred.

"When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven asks Conrad causing Bonnie to look up at him.

Conrad looks at Steven, his smile dropping as he looks down again.

"Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah says.

"Wh..." Steven's words trail off.

"You quit?" Bonie asks, her voice being heard for the first time that night. She looks at him with a confused look.

"Uh... Yeah." Conrad looks away from the girl, shame taking over his face.

"Are you kidding me, man? I'd- I'd kill to play college ball." Steven says, looking at the boy with a slight frown.

"He can always change his mind." Susannah says, smiling at her son from across the table.

"I'm not gonna change my mind." Conrad says quickly, staring at her. "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways."