03

Chapter three
Tell me

☼

After the police officers had caught the group of teenagers, they were now sitting in the entrance of the beach house waiting for Laurel and Sophie to finish talking to the cops. 

"Officers, thank you." Laurel smiles at the frowning Police Officers.

"It will not happen again; I can promise you that much." Sophie says, keeping her arms crossed over her chest.

"Tell Mr. Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town." The male one smiles at the moms.

Laurel smiles and nods her head, "Absolutely."

"Sorry for all the trouble... Have a good night, Officers." Sophie says, opening the door for the pair to leave.

Bonnie crosses her legs as she watches the pair of moms walk back in with an angry glare. She shuffles back on the couch slightly, knowing her mom's glare all too well.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" Laurel says, throwing her arms up in anger.

"Mom, it wasn't a big deal. All right? Seriously. The cops were just looking to break up the bonfire." Steven steps forward.

"Not a big deal?" Laurel laughs lightly at the boy.

"Yes." 

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a big deal." Sophie says, looking at her daughter who just looks down at her hand, picking at her nails.

Steven looks down, suddenly hyper aware of the smell on his mom and Sophie. "Wait..." Steven scoffs lightly, looking back up. "Wait, were you guys smoking tonight?" Steven asks.

Bonnie's head fly's up at the statement, shocked to hear it and even more surprised that her mom would do that even after knowing what could happen. Sophie looks at her daughter's face with concern, knowing that she wouldn't take smoking weed lightly.

"What?" Laurel says, looking at Sophie's helpless face as she glances at her daughter. "Keep your voice down, Susannah's asleep on the couch." Her voice grows louder with authority.

"Well, I wasn't yelling. You- you were." Steven says, backing up.

"You smoked weed?" Bonnie asks, glaring at her mom with pure anger.

"Bonnie, honey..." Sophie begins.

"Are you serious?" The girl asks, standing up and rushing up the stairs towards her room.