the glade.

"So here it is love. The whole lot of it." Newt says gesturing to the whole courtyard. "As said previously we call this the Glade. Back there is the deadheads where we bury our dead." Newt points to a forest lining the back of the Glade. "Then we have the Homestead. A huge chunk of us live up there but the rest who don't fit sleep in the hammocks."

"Where do you sleep?" I asked interrupting him. Just to clarify my odd question I continue. "I would want to sleep in the close vicinity of someone I know. For safety reasons of course." I said nervously since I couldn't tell what Newt was thinking and now I feel like my question was a little to forward.

"I sleep in the homestead. Which you will as well, you're not wrong about safety reasons. Although the gladers have a rule about not hurting other gladers it's still important to keep the only girl, with black blood for that matter safer with the keepers in the homestead. And it doesn't hurt that you'll be close to me now does it?" He said with a cheeky smile and I replied sheepishly.

"No, not at all."

"Well good on that. So to finish our tour we have the Gardens over there." He pointed to a small bundle of plants growing to the left of where I was standing. "And the Blood House were we store our meat and 'acquire' it, is over there." And he points to the right.

"And over there?" I ask pointing to a small building tucked into the deadheads.

"Don't you mind that. It's the map room only runners are aloud there."

"What exactly is a Runner? What is a shank? A greenie?"

"Well a runner is who goes in the maze and maps it out for us. They are the only ones who go into the maze which is another rule.

"How many are there?"

"Three. Never attack another Glader. Never go into the maze and always do your part."

"So what are the parts that we can do?"

"Well we have the Runners who try to find a way out. Then we have builders who build everything you see around here. Slicers whom feed and raise the livestock. Track hoes who do the more difficult plant work and Gardeners who well, take care of our gardens. Then Med Jacks which you know about and Baggers who bury the dead gladers.  And 2 guessing you know what cooks do no?" He says and I laugh.

"I may not remember anything but I do know that."

"Right well none of us really remember anything. Just our names. Which it's why it's very important when someone does remember something." He says looking at me as if he's waiting for me to say something. I think about it for a moment. Telling him about the voices and snippets of conversations I hear. But I choose not to because even I don't understand what I mean.

"I bet." I say looking down at the grass. "And shank and greenie? What do those mean?" I ask looking back up.

"Greenie is the new person who comes up in the box. Every month we get one new boy until you. You're our first girl. And shank well anything can be a shank. A person, a situation."

"So you made up words then?"

"What else are we supposed to do with all this time in our hands." He laughs and I join. "Come on. Let's get you put in a room." He says and places a hand on my back and leads me toward the homestead.

"Why is it that none of us remember anything?" I ask him while we make our way up to the second floor.

"I don't know. You can ask the people who put us here if you ever meet them."

"I doubt it. Something about the 100ft walls tells me they want to stay rather anonymous." I say and then when we turn the corner of the hall I crash my head into someones else's. "Ouch." I rub my head and I see it was Gally. "Sorry I didn't see you there."