Chapter 6 Reintegration

I had been away from school for over a week; only doing small assignments while bedridden. Now, I wanted to return and be normal, even if I technically wasn't anymore. I had helped Cora with studying for her math test, she was a pretty good student overall but her math skills left a little to be desired, she could write an essay circles around me though. Math is an integral part of programming any technology, everything from integers to an entire OS system. I hope to one day be able to invent and make things as my Dad did. But maybe I will find something else to do in the future, whatever mine will be like.

My alarm blared loudly, this was the first time in over a week I had set it. It felt good to have a routine again. It helped to return to some semblance of normality. I got out of bed and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, it still amazed me I could do that again. A minor thing like getting dressed felt like an achievement, as was being able to work on my projects again. Now finishing high school will be the ultimate challenge, I'll have lots of catching up to do in the future.

After getting ready I went downstairs for breakfast. Moma and Viola were sitting at the table, having cereal for breakfast. "Good morning Emma, how're you feeling?"  Mom asked me. I sat down at the table and poured myself a bowl. Viola didn't say anything. - "I'm doing alright, I guess, but I feel like I'm up to going back. How about you sis, still up to go to school with me?"     I asked Viola. - "Sure."  She shrugged lethargically. I got that. I wasn't feeling the greatest either, but I couldn't afford to wallow in my own self-pity. I got the milk nozzle from the refrigeration droid and poured it into my cereal. - "So I've heard from your teachers that they will have you do some special assignments to help you catch your grades up. Are you sure you're okay to go back?"  She asked. That made me pause a little. Was I ready to go back? - "Yeah, I'm all good to go, Mom. I want to go back."  I told her firmly. - "Okay. Take care you two."  She said, looking at me understandingly, holding her coffee mug with both hands.

Viola and I left for the bus soon after finishing. Mom looked sad to see us leaving. I think we'll be just fine. The bus stopped just as we got to the stop. We were the last to get on. I looked at the bus driver expecting to see that same face from the exhibition, the face of that cyborg who caused the accident and killed several of my classmates. But he was just the same old bus driver we've had all school year, it brought some comfort at least. He tipped his hat at me with a smile. I waved and smiled back weakly. We started walking toward the back of the bus. I could see familiar eyes looking at Viola and me, some indifferent, others in surprise. Then I locked gazes with a friendly pair of eyes. Coras. We sat down next to her.

"Hi Emma, Viola. So you finally decided to come back to school huh?"  She asked. - "We're doing better, thanks. I'm just not looking forward to all the work that I'm going to have to do. It's gonna suck ass, but I could use the distraction I guess."  I said, sighing. - "You haven't missed a ton, except in philosophy, even the unit we're learning about is scrambling my brain."  She said, holding the sides of her head. My sister stayed quiet, just staring out the window at nothing. It felt like we had switched places. Cora and I just talked the entire ride. I thought I'd be the one who had to adjust the most. - "Has my sister been this quiet every day since I've been gone?"         I asked Cora. She looked to be thinking. - "I think she was the first day back. She seemed fine after that. No idea why she's so quiet now."  She said, sounding unsure. It was unlike her to be vacant like this.   

After the bus stopped, the door slid open, and we got off. It felt kinda strange to be back, but it felt good to be back. As we went inside, I noticed there was a new janitor. He's wearing the usual grey and black, green striped jumpsuit. He was younger and cuter than the old one, a little scruffy around the face. He looked way too good to be working here, he should be a security guard or athlete instead, especially with the way he fills out that jumpsuit...oh god, what am I thinking? After that awkward breakup with my last boyfriend after Christmas, the last thing I need to be thinking about is boys. But still...ah it doesn't matter. - "See you at lunch."  I said to Viola.  - "Yeah...see you."  She said quietly, almost out of earshot. She then walked down the hall to her class. I hope she's going to be okay. I still had some progress to make.