Chapter 10 Cutting the power

I think I just had the best bath of my life, not like yesterday's painful one. Today was really something else. I walked over to the end of my bed, wind blowing the tree branches against the glass of my window being the only sound I could hear in my room. I sat down on my bed, looking out the window at the bright green city ahead. I wasn't sure If there was anything I could do; even with all of my power, to help Gothca. I just wasn't sure where to go beyond stopping criminals. There aren't usually a lot of people who need saving here. I went to lie down and get some much-needed sleep when I heard a tapping on my window. I got up and lit my holo-tool to see who or what was tapping on it. When the light touched them, I saw someone sitting on one of the thicker branches. I then opened the window and stuck my head out. 

"Cora, what the hell are you doing?"  I asked in confusion. She smiled awkwardly and then sat down. - "Hey, I wanted to swing by and talk. I didn't want to wake everyone up by knocking, also I wanted to climb the tree again like when we were kids."  She said, moving around awkwardly. I noticed she was carrying a large piece of metal.  "Um...would you be able to like levitate me to the window or something? I don't want to snap the branch."  She said, holding it up.

 - "I've never lifted a person up before. I guess I can try, just please hold on tight."  I told her, unsure if I could do that. What were you thinking Cora?  I held out my hand, concentrating on the thick piece of cylindrical metal she was holding. Cora began levitation off of the tree branch, holding on for dear life two stories off the ground. - "Whoa, this is so cool."  She said, dangling her feet as I lifted her into my room. "Having fun?"  I raised an eyebrow at her.

 Cora put the metal cylinder down and then stood up, brushing the hair from her face. - "Oh yeah, we need to do that more often. Wait, does that mean you can fly?"  She asked excitedly. - "Um, I don't know. I haven't tried to I guess."  How did I never think of trying to fly? All kinds of things float in the air now due to magnetism. It's so stupidly simple that I never thought of it. Am I just stupid?

I plonked down on my bed defeatedly. "So what'd you come over for? Not that I didn't want you to come over or anything, it's just not normally something you do."  I asked her nervously, trying not to be rude. She giggled at me in my overtired attempt at socializing. - "Well I wanted to check up on how you were doing. How was your birthday?"  She asked, sitting down next to me. -"It was good. My Aunt Demi and Uncle Peter came over, then we ordered food from that alien restaurant my Dad couldn't stand. Then we had chocolate lava cake. The only thing that was missing was..."  I struggled to finish my sentence. I tried not to cry in front of her. 

Cora stood up in front of me. She looked to be holding something behind her back. - "So hey, I didn't just come over so we could talk about sad stuff. I wanted to give you something too. Here."  She said, revealing what she had hidden behind her back. It was another small box like the one Mom had given the key to me in, except this one was a little bigger. It was wrapped in black and green paper with birthday candles on it. I opened the box, and inside was a black choker with a green jewel on the front. It felt just right and looked very high quality.

- "Wow Cora, thank you. Where'd you get this?"  I asked her, not certain if I deserved something this nice. I asked her, holding it out to get a better look at it. - "I wanted to get you one at the Terra Beautica but, you know..."  She laughed anxiously. "So before I went home I stopped by a place that had some nice clothes that I thought would look really cute on you, and then after looking around, I found this. Try it on."  She gestured to me to try it on. I undid it and put it around my neck. "Hmm, now stand up."  She said, taking my hands and helping me up.

I parted my hair so she could get a better look at it. "Wow, it looks so good on you...I'm kinda jealous actually. That'll get all the boy's attention at school, maybe even some girls."  She said, staring at my neck. I instinctively turned to hide my clavicle. Why was she staring at me like that?  "Oh, sorry. It just looks really good on you is all."  She said, scratching the back of her head. - "It does, you really think so?"  I asked her, trying not to blush.