Chapter 9 Shocking Reveal

As much as I wanted to do more patrolling. I was in way too much pain, plus I guess it would be a good idea to let the news cycle spin for a while before I decide to show myself again. After finishing up some homework, I decided to come out of my self-imposed exile and call up Cora to see if she wanted to hang out. I could use someone to talk to. I turned on my holo-tool and called her. A few seconds later and then she picked up. I wasn't sure what to talk about though.

"Hi Emma, you don't normally call. What's up?"  She asked. She was right. I didn't call her or my other friends much, not that I had more than a handful. - "I just finished most of my homework. Was bored just wondering if you wanted to go out somewhere?"  I asked. - "Sure, I've got time. I was thinking of going to a few places to get some spring clothes."  She said. I haven't gone clothes shopping in months; costume and gear shopping not counting. - "I'd like that. I could use some new clothes anyway. I think I've been going through a second growth spurt."  I chuckled half-heartedly. - "Oh my god, we're gonna go on a shopping trip. We haven't done that since middle school."  She said excitedly. Whoopee.

We discussed when and where we'd meet. There was a new store that opened up earlier this month that specializes in spring clothing. I would rather order my clothes online, but Cora is old-fashioned with the way she shops. Before I went out I put on a pair of black cargo pants, a long black mesh shirt, and one of my corsets. I also grabbed my mask, just in case, and then went downstairs. Mom was in the living room, sitting on the couch, looking at documents of some kind. - "Hey, I'm going to go shopping with Cora."  I told her as I was putting my shoes on. - "Oh, where are you going out to?" She asked from the other room. - "Cora and I are going to go shopping at that new store that just opened. I could use some new clothes."  I answered.

I could hear the sound of stuff being shuffled around. She had a lot of papers and a few large photos from what I glimpsed. I wonder what she was looking through. - "Yes you could. Well be careful, call me if you need a ride back."  She said in a concerned parent way. - "Yeah, we'll be fine Mom. I can take care of myself."  I said, walking out the door. By the time I was walking down the sidewalk, It occurred to me I had forgotten to say goodbye.

We agreed to meet at the bus stop. Since neither of us had licenses yet, we always took transit everywhere. Still a way safer means of transportation than driving in such a dense city. After walking five or so blocks, I saw Cora sitting down on the bus stop bench, she looked to be reading a book. "Hey cutie, you a reader?"  I said in a gruff macho voice. She looked up at me from her book. - "You have no idea how many guys I've had hit on me while I'm reading. What is it about a girl reading that makes them do that?"  She asked me in an exhausted tone. - "It's probably just because you're cute, I don't know."  I told her, shrugging my shoulders. - "Huh..." She interjected and then put her trashy romance novel inside her purse.

The sleek, black bus arrived a few minutes later. A holographic political ad with Creighton's signature stoic look plastered on it. You almost couldn't go anywhere or watch anything without seeing his face on something. I'm surprised it's not on cereal boxes. Cora and I boarded and ended up sitting in the middle of the almost packed bus. Cora and I hadn't hung out much since my accident, and even though I was still aching like crazy from last night, I wanted to spend what time I could with her before I ended up being too busy with life and trying to do something good with my powers. Although I hope that won't get in the way of our friendship.

During the ride, we spoke about the book we were studying for philosophy. Mainly about how silly the plot of the book is. Cora was mainly lost on the story's themes; I sort of was too until less than halfway into the thousand-page book's overly-long plot. Neither of us were too jazzed by the romance subplot. It felt very...gross and not at all romantic, at least not Cora and definitely not me. The radio broadcast ending was the most painful slog I have ever read in a book in my life. It was literally just Ayn Rands's political manifesto spewed out from the male protagonist's mouth onto the story page, the many pages. Too many. I'll give it some kudos. It's an easy read.